is it wise to buy X-Rite i1 Display Pro Plus now in 2022

Home Forums General Discussion is it wise to buy X-Rite i1 Display Pro Plus now in 2022

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Christopher
    Participant

What is this I read about the new HL calibrators that don’t do black well; low light, compared to the previous generation ?

SirMaster
    Participant

Correct.  The new meters use the same L2F sensor as the old meters.  But now the peak nits is rated for 3000 or 10,000 rather than 2000.  So they reduced the sensitivity with some filter, meaning it’s less sensitive to low light patterns.  And indeed in testing this has shown to be the case.

If calibrating things like projectors and OLEDs, You are better off with e Calibrite Plus.

Christopher
    Participant

Correct.  The new meters use the same L2F sensor as the old meters.  But now the peak nits is rated for 3000 or 10,000 rather than 2000.  So they reduced the sensitivity with some filter, meaning it’s less sensitive to low light patterns.  And indeed in testing this has shown to be the case.

If calibrating things like projectors and OLEDs, You are better off with e Calibrite Plus.

If you only have one or two OLED is the upgrade justified and is there any chart comparing the HL with previous generations with regards to low light differences ?

SirMaster
    Participant

If you only have one or two OLED is the upgrade justified and is there any chart comparing the HL with previous generations with regards to low light differences ?

Upgrade from what?  It’s a straight up downgrade from a Calibrite Display Pro for a display that is less than 2000 nits peak white which is all OLEDs.

It stops reading around 0.004 nit vs 0.001 nit on the Calibrite Pro and Plus.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Upgrade from what?  It’s a straight up downgrade from a Calibrite Display Pro for a display that is less than 2000 nits peak white which is all OLEDs.

It stops reading around 0.004 nit vs 0.001 nit on the Calibrite Pro and Plus.

When using that image do not forget to include that pattern is 10bit (RGB input number).
    It can be deduced on an indirect way ( 0.0045 nit on an << 100 nit display?) but image alone may be misleading

SirMaster
    Participant

When using that image do not forget to include that pattern is 10bit (RGB input number).
    It can be deduced on an indirect way ( 0.0045 nit on an << 100 nit display?) but image alone may be misleading

I think the point of the image is just to show that once you are trying to take a reading below about 0.01 nits, the new meter reads differently than the old one (0.0072 vs 0.0045 nit) on the same pattern.

And then below where the old meter read about 0.007, the new meter just fails to read at all, where the old meter would keep going to around 0.002.

I can see how this can cause problems when calibrating near black on a JVC projector or an OLED display, or even a local array dimming LCD.

NoVoicemail
    Participant

any thoughts on the new portrait c7 hdr meter? the specs say 0.002nits up to 10,000nits and iirc old meters had 6 second max integration time.

c7hdr

https://store.portrait.com/meters/c7.html

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by NoVoicemail.

Vincent
    Participant

Is it supported by ArgyllCMS? Does someone willing to buy one and send it th Graeme + dev cost?
    If any is “no”, out of the question.

SirMaster
    Participant

Feels like a stretch.

This is made by Portrait who makes CalMAN and they seem to be saying that it will only support CalMAN.  So not even working with LightSpace or ChromaPure etc.

Maybe Graeme can work some reverse engineering magic, but who knows if or when he would even try.

NoVoicemail
    Participant

maybe the calibrite line will adopt the new design at a later date and we’ll get wide adoption and support in argyll. I remember c6  unlock code was retracted so it might remain that way for c7.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by NoVoicemail.

NoVoicemail
    Participant

SirMaster is correct, the meter was designed in house by portrait engineers. disregard the speculations in my above post.

Vincent
    Participant

“Hi, it is developed in-house by our own engineers and color scientists, and it works with Calman color calibration software only. You find detailed info here: https://www.portrait.com/c7/&#8221;

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/portrait-displays-c7-hdr.3288100/

Looks like Apple way but inverse. We offer you a $300 device but for full functionality pay Studio/Ultimate $1,995.00 /$2,995.00

Old Man
    Participant

From what I’ve read, their specs are misleading too

Christopher
    Participant

From what I’ve read, their specs are misleading too

How so ?

sqkkyzx
    Participant

Today, I purchased the Calibrite Display PLUS HL, but I found that I am unable to use it with DisplayCAL.

I have loaded Argyll_V3.1.0, but DisplayCAL still recognizes my device as an i1 DisplayPro. After clicking the Calibrate & profile button, the Interactive display adjustment window remains stuck on “Setting up the instrument, please wait.”

I’m not sure if this is due to a lack of support from DisplayCAL or Argyll. It’s also possible that I made a mistake during the operation, as I have previously installed the Calibrite Profiler.

Can anyone tell me some possible solutions to this problem?

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS