I need help for the correct setting

Home Forums Help and Support I need help for the correct setting

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Antonio
    Participant

Before asking for help I tried to calibrate my monitor using the following settings:
    1. Default (gamma 2.2) – the screen (as read by the program) – colormunky smile tool – mode LCD (CCFL) – correction none

I not intervened by adjusting the colors for the measurement of the White point, in profile creation appeared a window that brought me some errors in the color reading, continuing the profiling the result was completely wrong.

2. I have tried using sRGB – the screen (as read by the program) – colormunky smile tool – mode LCD (CCFL) – correction none

In this case I intervened by adjusting the colors for reading the white point, directly from the video card by lowering the brightness of red and green, also in this case I received an error message in the color reading and only for a shade of blue.

The result is certainly better but not completely satisfactory.

Use an old laptop HP 6730s, the mobile built-in tab intel 4 series express chipset family, the video is Manufacturer 0x00000C32 LG Philips,
    Model 0x00003D01,  Description (ASCII) LP154WX4-TLAB.

I know it’s not a sophisticated hardware but good work by using it for amateur photography.

I ask help for a correct setting of Displaycal (it is the first time a use it), I hope someone can give you the right suggestion.

P.S. in window mode as well as LCD (CCFL) there is another choice LCD  (White LED) which to use?

Thanks a lot

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

in profile creation appeared a window that brought me some errors in the color reading, continuing the profiling the result was completely wrong.

Always attach screenshots or logs detailing the error. Just saying “there has been some error” is not very helpful information for troubleshooting. Also, “the result has been wrong” is far too vague. Be more specific.

P.S. in window mode as well as LCD (CCFL) there is another choice LCD (White LED) which to use?

HP 6730s should have a CCFL backlight.

Antonio
    Participant

Where i can find the log file , i made the second case calibration two days ago.

In all two  cases the color of the screen  was too warm tone abaut  brown.

<span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>If It is not enaugh let me know .</span>

Thanks

Antonio
    Participant

Sorry  for the delay,

With the intent to give all the information and have the help i need for the correct use of Displaycal, this morning I redid the calibration using these settings:

– settings = Default (gamma 2.2)
    – Dsplay = LP154WX4-TLAB (as recognized by the program)
    – Instruments = ColorMunky Smile
    – Mode = LCD (CCFL)

Here is the measurement image of the white point, I did not intervene in any way to correct it. White point measurement

Here is an image  Before calibration

Here is After calibration

Enclosed is also the calibration log file

Thanks

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Antonio.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Antonio
    Participant

Hi Florian,

to complete the previous post, I attach the image of the gamut of the measurement for my monitor after the calibration, as you can see it is not very close to the sRGB gamut,   it is below 30 percentage around, can you give me some suggestions to improve the yield of the calibration?

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

In all two cases the color of the screen was too warm tone abaut brown.

The effect you are observing may be completely normal and your Laptop screen just very blue in its default uncalibrated state. You could also try rotating the meter 90 degrees sideways (mentioned as a tip here but can’t test it myself).

Here is an image  Before calibration

Here is After calibration

That won’t work, as the effects of the calibration are not visible in the images – they look exactly the same as a result. Please attach the profile itself instead (in DisplayCAL, with the profile selected under “Settings”, use the “Create compressed archive…” icon next to it).

to complete the previous post, I attach the image of the gamut of the measurement for my monitor after the calibration, as you can see it is not very close to the sRGB gamut, it is below 30 percentage around, can you give me some suggestions to improve the yield of the calibration?

There is nothing that you can do about it, display gamut is always a property of the display, and many older Laptop displays have a very limited gamut.

Antonio
    Participant

The effect you are observing may be completely normal and your Laptop screen just very blue in its default uncalibrated state. You could also try rotating the meter 90 degrees sideways (mentioned as a tip here but can’t test it myself).

You mean put on the screen colormunki smile turned 90 degrees to the right or to the left?

Will be hard to do it sit still on the screen, but I’ll try and post the results

Please attach the profile itself instead (in DisplayCAL, with the profile selected under “Settings”, use the “Create compressed archive…” icon next to it).

Here is the compressed archive

There is nothing that you can do about it, display gamut is always a property of the display, and many older Laptop displays have a very limited gamut.

I know that the hardware I am using is not the best, I just want to have the screen with a good calibration

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You mean put on the screen colormunki smile turned 90 degrees to the right or to the left?

Shouldn’t matter.

Will be hard to do it sit still on the screen, but I’ll try and post the results

If you can, tilt the display all the way backwards so that it lies flat on whichever surface the Laptop sits on, that should make things a lot easier.

Here is the compressed archive

Thanks. The profile itself looks fine.

I know that the hardware I am using is not the best, I just want to have the screen with a good calibration

I don’t think you’ll be able to do much better than this, but you can always try setting calibration speed to “medium” instead of “fast”. I wouldn’t increase the amount of patches used for profiling, but a reduction by one notch of the slider will save you some time (accuracy will be reduced a bit, but the main limitation of the display is gamut and viewing angle, so that’s not a major concern).

Omelette
    Participant

In all two cases the color of the screen was too warm tone abaut brown.

You could also try rotating the meter 90 degrees sideways (mentioned as a tip here but can’t test it myself).

Sorry to interrupt, as I’m not the original poster, but I’ve tested this in my laptop, and surprisingly it worked! The difference between the old profile and the new one is considerable, and grays are now perceptually neutral. The old one had an apparent brown tint. I attach both profiles just in case it helps to study this matter.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Omelette.
    Attachments:

Antonio
    Participant

I don’t think you’ll be able to do much better than this, but you can always try setting calibration speed to “medium” instead of “fast”. I wouldn’t increase the amount of patches used for profiling, but a reduction by one notch of the slider will save you some time (accuracy will be reduced a bit, but the main limitation of the display is gamut and viewing angle, so that’s not a major concern).

I followed your suggestions by setting the calibration speed to medium and reducing the number of sliders.

I gave enough tilt the monitor so that the meter is not moving and turning it 90 degrees, WooW, it works well, the brown patina that dirtied the gray is gone that has once again become neutral.

The last question, the next time i calibrate i will start from this last profile or do I have to start from scratch?

Thanks a lot Florian

Thanks also to Omelette

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS