How to understand the Measurement report? Is it good or not?

Home Forums Help and Support How to understand the Measurement report? Is it good or not?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Dmitry
    Participant

Hi. How to understand is result good or not? Is it possible to make it better?

And two questions about another monitor:

1. How to make a black color deeper (not so “gray”)? Macbook has a deeper black color, but external DELL – not
    2.  White/black level drift checkboxes can make the result worse, or it can only get better? If it so I leave it already enabled?
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

How to understand is result good or not?

Looks spot on as far as the display capabilities go.

How to make a black color deeper (not so “gray”)?

The display itself determines the black level, so the only way you have to adjust black is usually the backlight.

White/black level drift checkboxes can make the result worse, or it can only get better? If it so I leave it already enabled?

I would only use these options if you know that you need them (i.e. you know that your display backlight drifts over time) as they prolong the measurement times.

Dmitry
    Participant

Looks spot on as far as the display capabilities go.

I mean how to understand while look on values result. For example smaller deltaE?

The display itself determines the black level, so the only way you have to adjust black is usually the backlight.

Before I bought a Colormunki I tried to make profile with SuperCal – visual calibration tool. And it profile has more deep black than after displayCAL and closer to my Macbook display. Please compare attachments.

I would only use these options if you know that you need them (i.e. you know that your display backlight drifts over time) as they prolong the measurement times.

But if I do not know does it or not? If I stay enabled it my profile could be worse?

—-
    I work on the Macbook at daytime, and on the external monitor after sunset. What best prefs I should set?
    For example goal settings: 6500K and 300cd\m for the Macbook (conditions: ~500lux, ~6500K daylight temp.) and 5000K and 80cd/m2 for DELL (conditions: 85lux, 2500K light temp.)?

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I mean how to understand while look on values result. For example smaller deltaE?

An error of 1 dE (= perceptibility threshold) is imperceptible. An average of below 0.5 dE is a very good result.

Before I bought a Colormunki I tried to make profile with SuperCal – visual calibration tool. And it profile has more deep black than after displayCAL and closer to my Macbook display. Please compare attachments.

You should trust the measurements. It is not possible to accurately calibrate by eye.

But if I do not know does it or not?

On the “Diplay & instrument” tab: “If your display is a OLED, Plasma or other technology with variable light output depending on picture content, enable white level drift compensation.”

So, no, you don’t need it.

If I stay enabled it my profile could be worse?

No, it’ll just take longer.

I work on the Macbook at daytime, and on the external monitor after sunset. What best prefs I should set?
    For example goal settings: 6500K and 300cd\m for the Macbook (conditions: ~500lux, ~6500K daylight temp.) and 5000K and 80cd/m2 for DELL (conditions: 85lux, 2500K light temp.)?

That seems reasonable, the whitepoint and brightness should be suitable for the viewing environment. If you can, control the lighting to be consistent.

Dmitry
    Participant

You should trust the measurements. It is not possible to accurately calibrate by eye.

I see, but I tried to calibrate the Macbook and DELL with same settings, but the Macbook has a deeper black. Maybe I can change settings in DisplayCAL special for deeper black? And I see that DELL can has it.

That seems reasonable, the whitepoint and brightness should be suitable for the viewing environment. If you can, control the lighting to be consistent.

I should measure a white point and ambient light correction or only one of it?

Many thanks for the other answers!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Maybe I can change settings in DisplayCAL special for deeper black?

No, the other way around: If one of the two monitors has a lower black level, and the other one can’t go as low, then the correct way to go about this is to measure the monitor with the higher black level and set the measured black as target for the other.

I should measure a white point and ambient light correction or only one of it?

No, just make sure that e.g. the luminance isn’t set too low or high for the viewing environment, otherwise it can cause eye strain and fatigue. In that regard, you can actually trust your eyes – adjust the monitor to a visually comfortable brightness before profiling.

Dmitry
    Participant

So if one has 0.3844cd/m2 level and another one 0.2523cd/m2 black point, I should set 0.3844 for both, right?

Have you tried F.lux app? It just change a temperature. I need the same thing. So brightness will fixed, but my lamp has a warmer light and my DELL looks very cold for my eyes. So I should decrease white point, right?

I thought that Ambient measurements is a useful thing, it is not so?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So if one has 0.3844cd/m2 level and another one 0.2523cd/m2 black point, I should set 0.3844 for both, right?

Yes.

So brightness will fixed, but my lamp has a warmer light and my DELL looks very cold for my eyes. So I should decrease white point, right?

Correct, although keep in mind that the useful range for color critical work lies roughly between 5000-6500K, and incandescent light is around 2400K.

I thought that Ambient measurements is a useful thing, it is not so?

Yes, with the caveat above.

Dmitry
    Participant

Thanks a lot!

I already tried to calibrate with 0.3844, but the Macbook still has significally deeper black color. And other colors mor e intense. Maybe because it has glossy screen and DELL has a matte.

How ambient measurements applied to result?

Now I tried to calibrate Macbook with basic settings (only enable white level drift compensation, LCD White Led IPS correction and get this result: Looks like very good but cold (6900K)

One important question: I can not find any recommendations about contrast and brightness settings before calibration. I see that brightness I should set as I like for my eyes. But what about contrast? What value is correct?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Dmitry.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Dmitry.
    Attachments:
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS