How to Determine Optimal OSD contrast setting

Home Forums Help and Support How to Determine Optimal OSD contrast setting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Wascally314
    Participant

hello!

thank you for the great program!  As a new user, could someone help me understand how i can determine the optimal contrast value to use on my monitor’s osd settings?  I understand how to use the RGB settings to achieve a better starting whitepoint, and brightness to achieve a targeted luminence.  But how do I check a gamma measurement so I can adjust contrast to an optimal point before calibrating an ICC profile?  This is for the Dell s2417dg, which has a poorly calibrated gamma out of the box.  Thank you!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

[…] how i can determine the optimal contrast value to use on my monitor’s osd settings?

This has been asked many times, and my general recommendation is always this: For LCD monitors, the “contrast” control is usually implemented in a way that alters the incoming signal, which can cause clipping, limiting the available contrast range, or introduce quantization artifacts. Therefore, I’d suggest leaving “contrast” at (factory) default.

[…] how do I check a gamma measurement so I can adjust contrast […]

Gamma (tone curve) and contrast are not related.

jj-34
    Participant

Hi, I am new here  so let me wish you all a Happy New Year 2017 …..

I have started using DisplayCal to calibrate my monitor and to start I’d like to elaborate about those LCD monitor contrast and brightness controls / settings.

I have read a lot that with LCD monitors it is recommended to leave the contrast setting at its default value but what is the default value, is it the max setting of the monitor ?

And to use the Brightness control to adjust the desired white point level (let’s say 120 cd/m²), but in my monitor’s user manual (Viewsonic VP2770-LED) it is written that the Contrast adjustment is to set the difference between the background ( black level) and the foreground (white level), and that the Brightness adjustment is to set the background black level.

Isn’t that opposed to the  recommandations ?  And what should I do really ? Have I missed the understanding there ?

Thanks a lot …

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I have read a lot that with LCD monitors it is recommended to leave the contrast setting at its default value but what is the default value, is it the max setting of the monitor ?

The default is what the monitor comes set at from the factory, and can usually restored to from within the OSD menu.

[…] in my monitor’s user manual (Viewsonic VP2770-LED) it is written that the Contrast adjustment is to set the difference between the background ( black level) and the foreground (white level), and that the Brightness adjustment is to set the background black level.

While such an implementation is quite common and is mimicking how CRTs behaved back in the days, it is quite likely that it is implemented in a way that has the problems (to greater or lesser extent) that I described above.

Isn’t that opposed to the recommandations ?

Not really. LCDs are usually contrast challenged anyway, so you don’t really want to reduce contrast. And increasing contrast without potentially introducing clipping (because an LCD really has a fixed contrast ratio as opposed to a CRT) may not be possible unless the LCD comes with a reduced (below optimal) contrast setting from the factory, which seems unlikely given the fact that high contrast is a desireable feature both from a practical and marketing perspective.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry to bring up old thread, but I recently did a test with my Dell UP2716D at 75% and 100% Contrast. Even at 100% contrast setting, DisplayCAL still calibrated the monitor nicely and I get low Delta between .41 and 1.59. This is similar to the 75% contrast setting. Using DaVinci Resolve with Decklink 4k, I put up some sample videos on the timeline, and they look good. I don’t notice any banding.

How can I test for color banding caused by setting contrast setting to 100%?

75% contrast setting = 983:1
    100% contrast setting = 1011:1

Vincent
    Participant

How can I test for color banding caused by setting contrast setting to 100%?

Visual inspection of a grey gradient in non color managed enviroments (like MS paint) or in Resolve enviroment with the LUT3D you made for your monitor with DisplayCAL.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS