Help with multiple monitor colors please.

Home Forums Help and Support Help with multiple monitor colors please.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Dillon Johnson
    Participant

I have two monitors that are primarily used for graphic design made for printing on clothing, glassware etc, work. So I am trying to make sure my on-screen colors are as close as I can get to the print colors on the product.

I ran the test using a Spyder 5 pro and implemented the new profiles aiming for a color temp of 6500k on each(correct me if 6500k isnt right, I couldn’t find concrete evidence if D50 or D65 was best), This was after a few days of researching and figuring out the settings and other useful information related to displaycal to make sure what I was doing was correct, At least from what I can tell.

What I don’t understand though. Is how after calibrating both monitors that each monitor displays different colors. How can both be accurate in sRGB and yet display different colors from each other?
    As a disclaimer, I have both monitors positioned correctly in terms of angle to rid any issues with color due to viewing from an odd angle.

Now I know I need to get proper standardized lighting. But even with proper lighting in the room, the color difference between monitors would still exist.
    If you need any more info let me know.
    Any help is appreciated. Thank you for reading. 🙂

Vincent
    Participant

AFAIK D65 seems right for textile. There are economic light boxes for textiles (China) with typical light sources for textile.

Possible causes:

-your device may not be an accurate tool for measurement. Since it’s a spyder is the most probable situation.

-your device could be accurate but you do not have configured it properly.
    Modern colorimeters need to know the backlight type of the monitors that they are measuring in order correct their raw readings and be accurate, these kind of corrections are called spectral corrections. The more accurate description of the spectral power distribution of that backlight, the better. If you want to use this kind of corrections you need a colorimeter that stores an accurate description of its spectral sensivity. Spyders do not seem to fall in this category.
    IDNK what kind of monitors you have. LED sRGB displays use WLED backlight. Try with that correction for colorimeter. You can import it in DisplayCAL for your Spyder from Datacolor setup executable. It’s not a very accurate correction but it’s better than nothing. Try to calibarte again if you did not used that correction.
    Also, there could be slight spectral differences between WLED light sources, between backlight used in different panel models. The better the colorimeter, the less you should care about them. Using a common sample of WLED backlight for every WLED sRGB monitor could lead to slight differences too. If that happens, once you have driven that two whites very close by measurement, match them by eye using monitors’ OSD controls,

-you can have the same white in the center of the screen for both monitors, but they could suffer color uniformity issues in other part of the screen that cause an overall color cast when compared to another monitor. If your monitors suffer this issue and they do not have uniformity compensation feature, you can’t solve this problem.
    Maybe it could be improved by matching by eye the screens to compensate the color cast diference between them, but it is not granted to work because white on other zones of those screens will drift away.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS