Help calibrating Asus PA247CV

Home Forums Help and Support Help calibrating Asus PA247CV

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Emily
    Participant

Hello! I’m trying to calibrate my monitor, I’m relatively new to this so I have a general understanding of the calibration settings but I’m having trouble figuring out what settings would be best to use in my specific situation.

My setup is:
    2020 Macbook pro -> thunderbolt -> Ultrastudio Mini Monitor 3G -> HDMI -> Asus PA247CV (not the best monitor, but it’s all I’ve got to work with at the moment)
    Calibrating with i1 Display Pro and DisplayCAL using the pattern generator workflow to create a 3D LUT for Davinci.
    I mostly work in Rec 709 2.4, so want to target that at 100cdm.

My questions are:

1. My monitor has a few presets – standard, sRGB, Rec 709, DCI-P3 and a couple user modes. The user manual doesn’t have any information about the monitor’s native gamut and gamma, so I’m not sure which setting to calibrate in. The user modes don’t allow RGB gain correction, so would standard or Rec 709 mode be best? I can’t discern much difference except that standard mode is automatically at 2.2 and measures at about 200cdm when I’ve tried calibrating, whereas 709 is at 2.4 and sits closer to 100cdm.

2. If I calibrate in standard mode, should I set the gamma to 2.4 on the monitor to match my calibration settings or leave it in 2.2?

3. Do I need to change any of the settings in the Desktop Video Setup for the Ultrastudio monitor? Currently all I’ve changed is the default video standard to 1080p25. Do any of the SDI output settings apply to me if I’m using HDMI?

4. Do my Davinci project settings affect the calibration at all? I’m using Davinci YRGB colour managed, with the colour management preset as Davinci wide gamut and output as Rec 709 2.4 because I want the most latitude possible but monitor in Rec 709 and also be able to export a DCI-P3 version for cinema screenings. Is this okay?

5. For the video monitoring settings in Davinci, currently I’ve changed the video format to HD 1080p25. For data levels, I’ve read on here that it doesn’t matter if you choose video or full, as long as it’s the same across Davinci and your monitor, so I’ve set both to full. Is that correct? And again, do the SDI settings not apply because I’m using HDMI?

For calibration settings, I’ve been using the 3D LUT for Resolve (D65, Rec 709/ Rec 1886) preset, only changing the white level to 100cdm.

6. My monitor has a contrast ratio of 1000:1. I’ve read on here that if this is the case, black output offset should be set to 100%, is this correct?

7. I’m confused as to whether or not I should have “Apply calibration (vcgt)” checked or not. From my understanding, if checked it applies a 1D LUT to the video card, is this correct? If I’m bypassing my mac’s OS with the Ultrastudio monitor, is this setting then affecting Davinci or the Ultrastudio monitor? In my case, should it be checked or unchecked?

8. Finally, I’m confused by the settings in the verification tab. I want to see how my monitor, with the new 3D LUT applied, performs against Rec. 709. What settings do I need to use for this?

I’m really keen to understand this process more, any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Hello! I’m trying to calibrate my monitor, I’m relatively new to this so I have a general understanding of the calibration settings but I’m having trouble figuring out what settings would be best to use in my specific situation.

My setup is:
    2020 Macbook pro -> thunderbolt -> Ultrastudio Mini Monitor 3G -> HDMI -> Asus PA247CV (not the best monitor, but it’s all I’ve got to work with at the moment)
    Calibrating with i1 Display Pro and DisplayCAL using the pattern generator workflow to create a 3D LUT for Davinci.
    I mostly work in Rec 709 2.4, so want to target that at 100cdm.

My questions are:

1. My monitor has a few presets – standard, sRGB, Rec 709, DCI-P3 and a couple user modes. The user manual doesn’t have any information about the monitor’s native gamut and gamma, so I’m not sure which setting to calibrate in. The user modes don’t allow RGB gain correction, so would standard or Rec 709 mode be best? I can’t discern much difference except that standard mode is automatically at 2.2 and measures at about 200cdm when I’ve tried calibrating, whereas 709 is at 2.4 and sits closer to 100cdm.

The one that allows RGB gain modification. If Rec709 mode alows that and gamma is closer to target… use that

2. If I calibrate in standard mode, should I set the gamma to 2.4 on the monitor to match my calibration settings or leave it in 2.2?

Depending what you want to do with monitor. For Resolve Rec709 g2.4 exclusive use, yes, set monitor as close to white and gamma target as you can.

4. Do my Davinci project settings affect the calibration at all? I’m using Davinci YRGB colour managed, with the colour management preset as Davinci wide gamut and output as Rec 709 2.4 because I want the most latitude possible but monitor in Rec 709 and also be able to export a DCI-P3 version for cinema screenings. Is this okay?

You need to use software LUT3D on your sRGB monitor (Asus) as explained in the faq… but since its an “sRGB monitor” if you correct white & gammat all should be visially close without a LUT3D.

For calibration settings, I’ve been using the 3D LUT for Resolve (D65, Rec 709/ Rec 1886) preset, only changing the white level to 100cdm.

6. My monitor has a contrast ratio of 1000:1. I’ve read on here that if this is the case, black output offset should be set to 100%, is this correct?

Once you make a profile to be used as LUT3D input it does not matter. But if you plan to use that asus without LUT3D set gamma target to 2.4

7. I’m confused as to whether or not I should have “Apply calibration (vcgt)” checked or not. From my understanding, if checked it applies a 1D LUT to the video card, is this correct? If

No, if checked it it moves 1D LUT that should be in GPU LUT to LUT3D (so GPU should not load any calibration)

I’m bypassing my mac’s OS with the Ultrastudio monitor, is this setting then affecting Davinci or the Ultrastudio monitor? In my case, should it be checked or unchecked?

Since you cannot apply grey calibration in GPU it must be moved to LUT3D, hence checked.

8. Finally, I’m confused by the settings in the verification tab. I want to see how my monitor, with the new 3D LUT applied, performs against Rec. 709. What settings do I need to use for this?

There are several ways to verify it, from a simple raw patch measurement in a MP4 Rec709 sample with 100% saturation patcheds & spot read on Resolve, to verifying a LUT3D equivalent (device link profile) that is calculated at the same time as your Resolve .cube LUT3D (a big .icc/.icm created on the same folder).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS