Green tint after calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Green tint after calibration

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

when trying to calibrate my two displays (Dell U2515H and Acer VG270U P) I’ve always ran into the issue of my screens having a severe (overall) green tint after the calibration. I’m currently using a calibrite colorchecker display with the following settings:

Mode: LCD (generic), Correction: Spectral. LCD White LED family (this should be the correct one, as I’ve seen this in another post, right? I also tried online corrections for the displays, which didn’t help), Whitepoint: 6500K, White level: 120cdm², Tone curve: Gamma 2.2, everything else is set to default. I’ve attached a profile, which was generated for my Dell, maybe that helps. As for the calibration speed, I tried everything with no big differences. I’m running a windows 10 machine with an RTX 2080, but also tried calibrating with windows 11 and my 2018 15″ MacBook Pro, with comparable results. When calibrating the screen of my Mac, it works just fine, so no green tint or anything, which is weird, but that should mean, my calibration device is working properly, right? Also, when I’m starting the calibration and then, the measurement, it always tells me that my levels of green are way to low, which kind of explains why the calibration result is always pretty green. I’m using the DisplayCal loader for loading the profiles, so that should not be the issue. And I’m also getting these green-ish results when using the calibrite software.

I hope someone can help me and please let me know if you need any more information.

Cheers!

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Try to use calibration correction(s) from DisplayCAL online database (there’s “planet” button near correction box). Common correction may be wrong in your case. Report on result, please.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Unfortunately, I already tried that, the results are about the same as with the common corrections. I’ve been mostly trying with matrix corrections, should I retry using those or try a spectral correction? Is there anything I should note when using those corrections? Is there any way to find a suitable correction, as the ones I’ve tried before did not work as expected?

I should also note that when setting the display’s whitepoint manually (using Chromacity coordinates), the calibration works just fine and the result does not have that green tint, but then, the verification will fail as the expected white point is off.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Don’t use any third-party matrix corrections. Tehse are personally made for some i1d3 instance, that differs from yours one. All consumer colorimeters are not precise in colors and their filters fade away with time, but made by X-Rite are significantly more stable than Datacolor Spyders. Use spectral corrections, though these are not adapted to your i1d3 error.

You do it in the right way. Even with personal correction (I have colorimeter and spectrophotometer both) measured WP may look like white with tint and its perception depends of ambient light. Move RGB values in “WP by xy coordinates” color selector and find some that you percept like stable. Check the attached image in Photoshop after profile will be ready (restart Photoshop), girls skin should be quite rose, not green and not yellow, hair should be brown with a very little red tint, but not bright or yellow, necks should not be dirt. The test will show you WP error, of course, if you make profile for non-standard WP (test shows bias to most closed standard temperature, “assumed WP”). This is normal, all colors can be recalculated to some specific WP in some range and will be percepted as correct. By example, this happens with prints.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

In addition to Alexei’s explanation, all image editors work with relative whitepoint in image to display render, hence even if you choose visually another xy coords for white that looks whiter (because instrument innacuracies), Photoshop won’t care. 255 sRGB white will be output to 255 in display colorspace.
    But if you use a LUT3D with a visually matched whitepoint, for madVR or DWMLUT or other tools remember to choose one oth the relative whitepoints intents when making LUT3D, otherwise you’ll end with the whitepoint target you get by measuring (green tint).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay, after choosing a spectral correction, I still get that green tint, so I’m required to custom match my white point, thus I am unable to use pre-defined white points as this will result in those green results, am I correct?

In addition to Alexei’s explanation, all image editors work with relative whitepoint in image to display render, hence even if you choose visually another xy coords for white that looks whiter (because instrument innacuracies), Photoshop won’t care. 255 sRGB white will be output to 255 in display colorspace.
    But if you use a LUT3D with a visually matched whitepoint, for madVR or DWMLUT or other tools remember to choose one oth the relative whitepoints intents when making LUT3D, otherwise you’ll end with the whitepoint target you get by measuring (green tint).

But this does not affect applications like chrome, right? I’m asking this because I was looking into display calibration primarily for things like web development.

Vincent
    Participant

But this does not affect applications like chrome, right? I’m asking this because I was looking into display calibration primarily for things like web development.

No, but use a simple single curve + matrix profile to avoid compatibility issues.

*If Chrome color management works* it will reencode RGB values in images or HTML colors (assuming untagged contnet to be sRGB) to the equivalent RGB number in display colorspace (whitepoint relative).
    And if Chrome color management does not work properly… it won’t work even if your measurement device said “measured D65” is your “visual D65”.

Anonymous
    Inactive

No, but use a simple single curve + matrix profile to avoid compatibility issues.

*If Chrome color management works* it will reencode RGB values in images or HTML colors (assuming untagged contnet to be sRGB) to the equivalent RGB number in display colorspace (whitepoint relative).
    And if Chrome color management does not work properly… it won’t work even if your measurement device said “measured D65” is your “visual D65”.

Ah, okay, I see, thank you very much!

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Markus, you have two ways for WP correction for external monitor: either you correct it in DisplayCAL visual editor, or you correct it in monitor menu. Of course, DisplayCAL can’t detect anything in monitor menu. But usually RGB bars in monitor menu have too large steps.

I think, there’s no need in DWM LUT tool for Chrome. Though, DWM may be more accurate in colors than Chrome engine, Chrome tends to oversaturate colors. However, most of users see the same color shift, so this color output is more desirable for commercial work. For DWM you need to generate special LUT and make special display profile settings in Windows. Its advantage is that all colors will be showed as sRGB colors for all applications and icons.

Open chrome://flags page in your browser, search for “color” and set/reset Forced Colors to Enable. Sometimes this is needed to switch color management on in Chrome and its clones. Firefox has different settings and tends to desaturate colors.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Alright then, I’ll try that, thank both of you so much for your time and help, I really appreciate it

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS