green tint after calibrating new Philips Brilliance 439P1 monitor

Home Forums Help and Support green tint after calibrating new Philips Brilliance 439P1 monitor

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

pisti
    Participant

i installed displaycal and argyllcms on my linux box running Slackware v15 and run one succesful calibration session on my large Philips Brilliance 439P1 monitor.  but the screen displays now with a green tint where before a clean white was shown ! during the displaycal calibration phase (the first phase) under ‘interactive display adjustment’ i was asked to adjust via the monitor’s OSD the RGB colors (lower RED from 100 to 86) and picture brightness from 50 to 51.  that’s when things turned ugly green…while the second profiling phase didn’t adjust much in terms of colors though the dark contrasts are now better admittedly.

does anybody have experience how to adjust displaycal’s run options such as ‘Mode’ and ‘Correction’ under ‘Instrument’ and then the other parameters under ‘Calibration’ and ‘Profiling’ for this relatively new type of LCD-LED monitor, a Philips Brilliance 439P1 ?

any help or advice will be greatly appreciated ! i have a huge photo collection and need a properly calibrated system so i can send my color and b&w pictures to a local art print shop.  thank you !

Old Man
    Participant

What’s new about your monitor? It looks like it’s a normal WLED. Did you use the WLED correction? What meter do you have?  Worst case scenario, you can do a perceptual match

pisti
    Participant

sorry about the missing information, silly me, forgot to include such, you are right !

look, the calorimeter is a : ColorVision Datacolor Spyder X Pro

regarding instrument  correction, i played a bit with everything – but to follow your advice, ‘WLED’ will mean ‘LCD white LED’, correct ?

i will try just that later today !  i will keep you posted – thank you for your reply !

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Old Man
    Participant

No problem. It’s hard to know what to include.

Your colorimeter could be the problem. Spyders are known to be bad (we refer to them as paperweights around here). Get an i1d3 instead (I recommend the calibrite colorchecker display plus).

LCD white LED, yes

pisti
    Participant

i  retried it a few more times tonight with the Spyder, with slightly better results :  the green tint is now less strong – though still not perfect i feel.  anyway, i work mostly in b&w photography so perhaps this will do it as is.  i use simple xcalib to invoke the generated PHL*.icc  files, works like a breeze.

newest OSD settings : RGB 85/100/98, brightness 53, sharpening 40 (instead of 50)

in some 1-2 years from now i consider to purchase one of the new QD-OLED monitors, perhaps a 4K Samsung 43inch or larger,  for which i will then also need a colorimeter.  now, before i invest today into something like the calibrite colorchecker display plus as you just suggested (which cost double the Spyder) i would consider to get a newer next-generation colorimeter at that time which i suppose will by then be even better able to deal with the newest OLED technologies.

what are your thoughts here, OldMan ?  i am just 60, btw… 🙂

Old Man
    Participant

Yeah, you can wait if you want. It’s possible better meters will be out by then 😀

pisti
    Participant

Amazon returned my costs for the SpyderX – so i ordered right away the “calibrite colorchecker display plus CCDIS3P” for the double of the price.  let’s hope it does a better job in terms of this green bias.  i will keep you posted, OldMan,,,

Vincent
    Participant

Googling looks like a widegamut NTSC 105/sRGB 125%/AdobeRGB 90% and if manufacturer labels it “W-LED” so it should be an almost P3% WLED PFS.
    Wide LED may be the best match for SPyderX

https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/439P1_27/brilliance-4k-ultra-hd-lcd-display-with-multiview

This causes misunderstandings to customers beacuse some see “W-LED” and think about “White LED”(blue led + yellow phosphor, sRGB only) while it is something more. That name is missing a surname.

Amazon returned my costs for the SpyderX – so i ordered right away the “calibrite colorchecker display plus CCDIS3P” for the double of the price.

Remember to install the default set of corrections for i1d3. Try the WLED PFS 94% P3 Panasonic VVX…

let’s hope it does a better job in terms of this green bias.

If it does not… it can be updated to the actual SPD of display (if somebody shares it), SpyderX does not.
    SpyderX is an improvement over past Spyders regarding sensor & durability… but it lacks of this feature, no “distributed” software update to new backlight types like i1d3 has with CCSS/EDR corrections.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Vincent.

Old Man
    Participant

Oops, yeah, my bad. Sorry for the confusion about WLED. Thanks for correcting me, Vincent. I still think getting the new meter was a good idea though

pisti
    Participant

(just so you know, this website keeps erasing/forgetting my messages after pressing the submit button!)

ultimately things worked out fine with the new colorimeter, the calibrite colorchecker display plus (formerly i1d3). the green tint on my monitor is gone, the resulting contrasts and colors look fine to my eyes (not the most reliable test).

i also wrote about my experience on LinuxQuestions – thank you both for advice and input, you helped me greatly !

Old Man
    Participant

Strange about your messages being deleted. I don’t have that problem.

Good to hear things worked out!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS