Get RGB values from the probe (measurement report?)

Home Forums Help and Support Get RGB values from the probe (measurement report?)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Nika
    Participant

Hello!

I’m using the x-rite i1Display Pro probe and DisplayCal 3.5.3., and I’d like to get RGB values of the colours read from my screen.

When I use the “measurement report” tool, I can get the measured values expressed as XYZ (or Lab/Luv). However, I want to plot the “reference” device values (RGB) against the values read from my display and it doesn’t make much sense to plot RGB against XYZ (or the other way round). Is it possible to use DisplayCal to get the RGB values straight from the probe without having to convert between different colour spaces (eg XYZ->RGB)?

If so, can I do it using the “measurement report” tool or should I use a different method?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Nika

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

color instruments don’t return RGB, but CIE XYZ. Arbitrary RGB would also be meaningless without relating them to XYZ. In color measurement, no reference values are involved. The light emitted by the display is converted by the instrument to CIE XYZ using (typically) the CIE 1931 2° standard observer color matching functions. Spectrometers also allow you access to the measured spectra.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS