Gamma too low

Home Forums Help and Support Gamma too low

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Sander
    Participant

Hi,

I just calibrated my monitor using a combination of HCFR and DisplayCAL. I first adjusted the monitor’s on-board settings to get the gamma as close as possible to the sRGB curve in HCFR. Then I used DisplayCAL with the built-in sRGB preset (unchecked interactive adjustment) for the rest of the calibration.

My blacks seem to be lifted quite a bit after the calibration. So I went to the Lagom LCD test website to check my gamma LINK. I found out that my gamma is too low. On 45% it’s about 1.9, on 25% it’s 2.0 and on 10% it’s 2.1

The gamma seemed to be closer to the sRGB curve before I ran displayCAL.

What is causing this? Thanks in advance.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

what’s your display, especially the panel type, and your instrument? Did you change any settings in DisplayCAL after selecting the sRGB preset?

Sander
    Participant

It’s actually a TV. It’s a Sharp LC-26S7E. It supports the full RGB input range (0-255).

I used a Spyder 5 (Pro) with the ‘LCD (CCFL)’ mode, as this TV uses CCFL backlighting. Besides unchecking ‘interactive adjustment’ I made no changes to the DisplayCAL settings.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It’s actually a TV. It’s a Sharp LC-26S7E. It supports the full RGB input range (0-255).

Have you checked with a clipping pattern? TVs are usually 16..235.

Sander
    Participant

I can see all three bars on this pattern: IMAGE

Before I ran DisplayCAL I tried setting my gamma manually, but my TV only has brightness and contrast settings in PC mode. I couldn’t get the gamma to hit 2.2, so I just tried flattening out the curve as much as possible. The average gamma was 1.9

After the DisplayCAL calibration, I re-measured using HCFR. The gamma curve has been flattened even more, but the gamma itself is still too low.

It seems to be a display-related thing as every other display I calibrated using DisplayCAL has a spot-on sRGB curve.

Sander
    Participant

I finally figured it out! It was a combination of two things:

1. I adjusted my video card’s contrast setting during my manual calibration (this may have limited DisplayCAL’s adjustments?). When I set it back to 0, HCFR showed a proper gamma curve after the calibration.
    2. The viewing angles of my display are just mediocre. Normally the upper bezel is at my eye level, but to get a good image, the center of the display has to be at eye level. So it’s kind of anti-ergonomic.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I adjusted my video card’s contrast setting during my manual calibration

Ok, not a good idea. These settings should stay at default values for accurate calibration 🙂

The viewing angles of my display are just mediocre. Normally the upper bezel is at my eye level, but to get a good image, the center of the display has to be at eye level.

Indeed. Especially TN and also to some extent PVA panel types are very susceptible to viewing angle related color and contrast shifts.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS