Gamma setting for Bluray

Home Forums Help and Support Gamma setting for Bluray

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Hi Florian

So I’ve tried rec 1886 setting for the madvr 3dlut    w/ absolute colormetric w/ white point

It looks a little washed out and less saturated.

So, then I changed it to the Saturation setting instead of ab color wwp,  The gamma setting the same rec1886,  but this created Lots of black crush.

Is there a reason for this ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

keep the relative colorimetric rendering intent and increase black output offset.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Super thanks for that florian, totes worked.

haven’t had time to play with the software since I left the country and just got back..

I noticed when going to 100% black output offset, it  looks the same  on both absolute and relative..

Is there a difference ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I noticed when going to 100% black output offset, it looks the same on both absolute and relative..

Is there a difference ?

Depending on black level, there will be a slight difference in the midtones (absolute would be slightly brighter), but if the black level is low, that difference will be visually insignificant.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Is there a particular reason the default is set to  rec 1886 ?

As in,  is it the case that the Video studio only use incredibly awesome Monitors, and their rec 1886 looks awesome,  but then I get it at home on my crappy Dell , it looks faded /washed out ?

Even after calibration, if not for the black output offset trick you told me about,  it just doesn’t look good on any of my screens, even my VA, which measured 4800:1 static contrast ratio @ 320nit.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Yes, BT.1886 is the official standard. It makes sure that even on a lesser display, details near black can still be differentiated.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Yes, BT.1886 is the official standard. It makes sure that even on a lesser display, details near black can still be differentiated.

I understand a standard is a standard.

What tone curve setting deviation of that standard would Florian consider -In good taste- ?

Also, could you recommend a textbook of sorts if someone would like to learn more about the principles behind coloring.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What tone curve setting deviation of that standard would Florian consider -In good taste- ?

That’s up to you to decide – although I wouldn’t vary parameters too much. There’s two presets, BT.1886 (0% output offset) and “legacy” gamma 2.2 (100% output offset).

Also, could you recommend a textbook of sorts if someone would like to learn more about the principles behind coloring.

That’s a vast topic – I would probably start with human color vision. Craig Blackwell had a series on YouTube that I would consider a good introduction.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Thx Florian, I will chk it out !!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS