Gamma curve to mimic ST2084 ?

Home Forums General Discussion Gamma curve to mimic ST2084 ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

is it possible to add a gamma that mimics the HDR gamma ST2084?

in other words profiling using a higher peak brightness than you usally do and still have an APL (average pixel level) around 100 nits?

and so set the gamma to only use the higher nits to boost the brightness for the scenes highlights?

call it fake HDR

just some speculations and thoughts here 🙂

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m working on something to that effect, and it’s likely to appear in the next update. Basically, the few available downloadable HDR demos I’ve looked at (which all seem to have an encoded peak white MaxCLL of around 1000 cd/m2) all look reasonable with a SMPTE 2084 curve that clips (with soft rolloff) anywhere between 600-900 cd/m2 (depending on the material being viewed), on a conventional SDR display. So, I’m probably going to add SMPTE 2084 as tone curve choice to the 3D LUT functionality, with user-definable clipping point. This will have the serious drawback though that it is static, possibly requiring per-content 3D LUTs, but provides an alternative to the gamut remapping of (e.g.) madVR HDR playback (the latter has the big advantage that dynamic remapping according to the metadata is possible, although I think this is not yet implemented).

Anonymous
    Inactive

sounds great!

i will try it out

even with an KRP-500M with peak brightness at 220cd/m2 and 89% (as you calculated ;)) of DCI P3 that Sony Camp HDR demo looks amazing!

way more natural with better colors

thats with madvrs HDR support and no 3D LUT just ISF day.

but how SDR content will look with this fake hdr gamma i dont know but its worth a try.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

thats with madvrs HDR support

Even in its current form madVR’s HDR support is quite capable. It does compress the whole range afaik so no clipping, and there’s some gamut remapping to preserve saturation.

but how SDR content will look with this fake hdr gamma i dont know

It is not suitable for SDR content, it will look very dark and contrasty if you view SDR through SMPTE 2084.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS