Gamma curve for HDR content ?

Home Forums Help and Support Gamma curve for HDR content ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

patrik10 SourceForge

Watching HDR content on an non HDR display with an rec709 gamma curve will make the image to appear
    washed out.
    Is it possible to add an S-LOG type of gamma curve to the 3D LUT ?
    Im not to familiar with how it works but to lower the low end levels and brighten the high end levels an s type of gamma curve should get hdr content to look more accurate with more contrast.

I know that this would be the poor mans solution to watch hdr content but do you think a new gamma curve that is more suited for hdr content would be an improvement in dynamic range even on non hdr displays or would it be equal to what we already have now with rec709 ?

10bit output is a must here i think and madvr is already working with 10bit which i have now to my KRP- 500M

The short question is.
    Do you think its possible to ADD more dynamic range on non hdr displays that already works with 10bit and a wider color gamut with a new gamma curve ?
    If its possible to take advantage of all 1024 graycale steps with 10bit and the wider gamut for HDR content that is.

As you see im not into all this just speculating.

Im also not sure whats baked into that meta data from hdr content.
    Its probably more than gamma changes ?

• This topic was modified on 2015-10-21 03:44:14 by patrik10.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You can already create “HDR” 3D LUTs with the standalone 3D LUT maker using a synthetic ICC source profile with SMPTE 2084 tone curve, but “true” HDR will require metadata embedded into the video stream and additional processing so the appropriate mapping from HDR to SDR can take place on non-HDR displays (I’m not privy to all the details).

patrik10 SourceForge

HDR 3D LUT ?
    that was new

what will the benefits be and will there be any visible improvements over traditional 3D LUT?
    are these HDR Luts for rec709 content or ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

There’s nothing special about it. The source colorspace can be anything. True HDR (Dolby Vision) will require a HDR-ready display though, or an extra processing step that turns HDR into SDR.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS