First calibration – help to understand the basics

Home Forums Help and Support First calibration – help to understand the basics

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

rlps
    Participant

Hello,

This is my first calibration. Equipment is a Macbook Pro 13 inch, retina, late 2013. I have a ColorMunki Display as colorimeter. I would like to know if I am understanding the basics right and why I am apparently getting better results with the simpler X-Rite software.

I will be editing video that will be viewed mostly on the web, not on TV. Thus, I chose (Video, D65, Rec. 1886). However, I changed the tone curse to Gamma 2.2.

1st, I run a verification of the macbook monitor (without color management) against Rec709 Gamma 2.2, and I had checked “simulation profile” and “use simulation as target profile”. Is that right to test the monitor uncalibrated (without color management)? It is interesting that the white point of the monitor is around 7100k. The result is attached.

2nd, I run a calibration & profile with correction selected to “auto (none)”, calibration Video, D65, tone curved changed to Gamma. 2.2. Profiling with around 1500 patches. Before the calibration I could change only brightness to 120cdm2 as this is a macbook monitor and there is no way to change R G B to match the white point. Is that right? Then, I run a verification again now selecting checking only “simulation profile”, Rec709 Gamma 2.2. I got the 2nd results, which are attached.

I have two problems now, looking at the verification report, the Gamma goes crazy towards the 100%. And the monitor has a yellowish cast  to it. Then I realized I should be using a correction. And here we go to the third step.

3rd, I run the calibration again now with correction selected to “Spectral: LCD White LED IPS (WLED AC LG Samsung)”. Is that the correct one for a macbook pro retina? I got the following 3rd verification results, which are attached:

The Gamma is much better, no going crazy towards 100%. However, there is still this yellowish cast to the screen. Is that just my perception? I read that some monitors could have this if you do not stick with their withe points. As the macbook monitor has no hardware control  for RGB, should a forget about white point and use as measured 7144k  or something like 7000k? I also read that most mac and pc uncalibrated monitors (the monitors of my viewers) should be around 7000k anyway. Is that correct?

4th, them I run the X-Rite software aiming for Rec. 709. The software brought the white point to 7000k, the gamma to 2.2. Thus, no yellow cast. And now the most intriguing result: when I compare both profiles the DisplayCAL one seems to have the shadows darker, or as some people say, in the images the blacks are crushed. With the profile created by the X-Rite, the shadows of a image have much more detail. I attached a photo that comes with X-Rite, to the left of the bride there is a three. With the X-Rite profile, I can several tones of green, from dark green to light green. With the DisplayCAL profile, the three is basically black from the extreme left until the middle of the image, then it “jumps” to lighter green. I compared other images with both profiles, and photos tend to have more detail in the shadows with the X-Rite profile. Any ideas why?

If you could help me understanding  those questions, it would be great. Thank you very much.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

1st, I run a verification of the macbook monitor (without color management) against Rec709 Gamma 2.2, and I had checked “simulation profile” and “use simulation as target profile”. Is that right to test the monitor uncalibrated (without color management)?

Yes.

correction selected to “auto (none)”

I’m pretty sure the MacBook has a white LED backlight.

Profiling with around 1500 patches.

You can probably reduce the amount of patches a good deal (try 175 total) for a computer display.

Before the calibration I could change only brightness to 120cdm2 as this is a macbook monitor and there is no way to change R G B to match the white point. Is that right?

Yes.

looking at the verification report, the Gamma goes crazy towards the 100%

That is normal to some extent (I wouldn’t worry about levels 0-5% and 95-99%), although in the 2nd case it looks like the display has drifted, or environmental conditions like the room light changing have affected the measurements somewhat.

I run the calibration again now with correction selected to “Spectral: LCD White LED IPS (WLED AC LG Samsung)”. Is that the correct one for a macbook pro retina?

I think so, see above.

However, there is still this yellowish cast to the screen. Is that just my perception?

Probably. Have you any other white objects in view? If so, they’ll throw your perception off if their white is cooler. 6500K is also quite a bit warmer (yellower) than the native 7100K.

With the profile created by the X-Rite, the shadows of a image have much more detail

Note that Mac OS X apps like “Photos” and “Preview” (basically all Apple apps) have a bug that makes images too dark. The only solution is to use software unaffected by this bug (e.g. Photoshop, Affinity Photo).

Eric
    Participant

This is my first calibration. Equipment is a Macbook Pro 13 inch, retina, late 2013. I have a ColorMunki Display as colorimeter. I would like to know if I am understanding the basics right and why I am apparently getting better results with the simpler X-Rite software.

Does this model have the illuminated Apple logo at the back? Read somewhere it can potentially affect the measurements. Unless you’re calibrating in a dark room, it could help to position the colorimeter away from it.

rlps
    Participant

Does this model have the illuminated Apple logo at the back? Read somewhere it can potentially affect the measurements. Unless you’re calibrating in a dark room, it could help to position the colorimeter away from it.

Thank you for letting me know. I should try again without placing the colorimeter on the site of the logo. In general, is there a difference if I use the middle or the edges of a monitor to calibrate?

rlps
    Participant

Note that Mac OS X apps like “Photos” and “Preview” (basically all Apple apps) have a bug that makes images too dark. The only solution is to use software unaffected by this bug (e.g. Photoshop, Affinity Photo).

Thank you so much, Florian! You are right, it is an apple bug. Opening the  image in photoshop, it looks just fine with nor darkening. Would you know if Final Cut Pro X also suffers from this bug? I would like to use it for editing.

rlps
    Participant

OK. I just tested and unfortunately FCPX also presents this bug. It is a pity that apple did not fix this.

Eric
    Participant

Thank you for letting me know. I should try again without placing the colorimeter on the site of the logo. In general, is there a difference if I use the middle or the edges of a monitor to calibrate?

Shouldn’t pose a problem if the display panel’s uniformity is good. DisplayCAL can measure panel uniformity via Tools -> Report -> Measure display device uniformity..

Once I had a LED monitor that would always be too warm around the edges after calibrating (using the center). Did a uniformity test (3×3 patch layout) and found out that it was actually the center that was the odd one out. Calibrating off center actually gave a more pleasing result.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

OK. I just tested and unfortunately FCPX also presents this bug. It is a pity that apple did not fix this.

It is likely that all Aplple software is affected because it uses the system color management engine (ColorSync/Apple CMM). E.g. Photoshop for the most part uses its own color management engine (Adobe Ace), thus isn’t affected. Other 3rd party software that uses its own color management won’t be affected as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS