Feature idea: Dark patch for adjusting RGB offsets

Home Forums Help and Support Feature idea: Dark patch for adjusting RGB offsets

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

((( atom )))
    Participant

Straight @Florian:

I improved my near-black display quite a bit again by properly adjusting the RGB offsets of my projector before measuring to loose any tint.
    Adjusting the RGB-Channels itself is easy using displaycal but adjusting the RGB offsets which take care of the lower end of the brightness range had to be done visually which is not easy and surely not 100% accurate.

Do you see any way to implement some help for that task? I would imagine the same RGB meters as during the setup of the measurement but with a dark gray pattern.
    – would that make sense?
    – would that be possible?

Surely it would help all users with projectors quite a bit.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It’s already possible in a way by selecting “Refresh (generic)” mode for your colorimeter. Then, interactive display adjustment will show a black point icon. Note that if you want to use a colorimeter correction that was originally made for non-refresh “LCD (generic)” mode, you’ll have to copy the correction and change DISPLAY_TYPE_REFRESH from “NO” to “YES”.

((( atom )))
    Participant

Playing around with it some more, I figured out that the only thing that makes sence in order to calibrate + LUT a projector is to adjust the RBG values on point throughout all bandwidth before running displaycal. The result is that the difference between using the generated LUT or none is pretty small and I am loosing hardly any brightness. The slight improvement added by the LUT makes the colors look way more realistic, though. 🙂

It is a bit of extra work but well worth the effort. So I am afraid measuring the black point won’t really do the trick. It would be just great to have all this under one hood, but I can imagine it would be quite a bit of work on your sinde and it might also break the concept of the GUI in a way.

Btw I also found that calibrating the RGB values with displaycal alon is a little dangerous, because it might happen that the RGB values for the different brightness levels are not exactly the same and adjusting RGB with displaycal can lead to offsets, because it takes the measurement only at one brightness. Seeing the curves in HCFR showed that quite clearly. That was the actual reason I started calibrating the RGB levels to be on top of one another throughout the bandwidth.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS