Factory-calibrated monitor

Home Forums Help and Support Factory-calibrated monitor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Carlos Alcaide García
    Participant

Hi there!

First of all thank you all for developing such a great tool. I am no expert at all in this, so I would really appreciate a little help here.

I own a Spyder 5 and two ASUS PA248Q. My main purpose for this monitors will be video editing, photo editing, and color correction of both. I also watch some movies/videos sometimes. The monitors are supposed to be semi-pro, so they come with presets and factory color correction (or so they say!). There is a sRGB preset that looks nice, but the two screens don’t look the same even with all the factory presets reset. This is possibly because one is 6 months old and the other is brand new.

So I want to make sure that colors in both monitors are as close as possible to reality (I know, chimera and all), but I am not sure which presets/ options should I choose.

I did a previous interactive correction with in the “User 1” memory of my main monitor. I chose sRGB on DisplayCal and matched the monitor gains to the central points. Then it run all the measeurements… Aaaand I don’t think the result is very good, I’m not sure I’m seeing the whites whites.

Now I’m trying to run a non-interactive correction in the monitor sRGB factory preset (no gain-changing allowed), also with the sRGB correction; Does this make any sense?

I am quite confused about all the options in there, even after reading the documentation… Should I try the video correction? Do I need the black compensation? If anyone could tell me which way to go in every step that would be great.

I’m also not getting what the difference between Profiles and 3DLUT is. I know LUTs but just from Premiere/Resolve and I don’t get how to apply it here in addition to the profiles.

Thank you very much!

Carlos.

MW
    Participant

Make sure you are using the latest version, I had some off whites, at least when using fast draft type settings. This seems to be improved since. LUTs from displaycal are used for the same purpose as profiles, correcting the display output rather than color correction.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

choose the “Video” preset, and set measurement mode to “White LED”. If you want to save time (the Spyders are slow), you may reduce the number of patches on the “Profiling” tab (not below 271). Don’t change anything else. Calibrate & profile the first monitor in a mode that gives you access to RGB gains. After the run, adjust the second monitor’s white point visually to match the first one’s, then run calibration & profiling on it with white point and calibration tone curve set to “As measured” in DisplayCAL.

I’m also not getting what the difference between Profiles and 3DLUT is. I know LUTs but just from Premiere/Resolve and I don’t get how to apply it here in addition to the profiles.

Most video grading/editing software does not have ICC profile support, so 3D LUTs need to applied further down the line (i.e. via a hardware LUT box, or if the software allows display LUTs, that can be used as well). A 3D LUT is a “baked” transform from a given source space (e.g. Rec 709 BT.1886) to a destination (i.e. the display). A display profile is just a characterization of the display and records the gamut and tone response. A display profile is always needed to be able to create a display 3D LUT.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS