eeColor 3D LUT Generation Settings

Home Forums Help and Support eeColor 3D LUT Generation Settings

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Paul M
    Participant

I have an eeColor box that is connected to a Sony XBR-65A1E (OLED) television. The inputs are from an Xfinity cable box and a Roku 3.

When I profiled the television I used the following chain: i1 Display Pro 3 -> Laptop computer (running Intel graphics), DisplayCal and MadVR ->  eeColor box (CMS off during profiling) -> television. I used spectral color correction file created via an i1Studio spectrophotometer (from DisplayCal). For MadVR I had to set the EEC SII Repeater device properties within MadVR to PC Levels to get a black background in MadVR. If I used TV levels then the MadVR background would be gray and black test patterns were gray instead of black, so I assumed I needed to use PC levels. Also, within MadVR device properties for the EEC SII Repeater I set the native display bitdepth to 10 (which the Sony TV supports).

I generated a 3D LUT that I uploaded to the eeColor and the results, visually, appear to me to be excellent. Verification shows the results are excellent. However, I’m not sure I used the correct settings on DisplayCal’s 3D LUT tab. The settings I used were the following:

Source colorspace: (REC709 ITU-R BT.709)

Tone curve: Gamma 2.2 (this is what I preferred)

Apply calibration (vcgt): checked

Gamut mapping mode: Inverse device-to-PCS

Rendering intent: Absolute colorimetric with white point scaling

3D LUT file format: eeColor

Input encoding: TV RGB 16-235

Output encoding: TV RGB 16-235

3D LUT size: 65x65x65

My question involves the settings for the input encoding and output encoding. Since I used PC levels in MadVR (and that seemed to be correct to get black to be black on the TV) then what settings should I use for the input encoding and output encoding on the 3D LUT tab in DisplayCal?

Thanks, Paul

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

16..235 is the correct encoding for the 3D LUT (you would notice if it weren’t because black would be lifted to gray).

Note the chain:

madVR (0-255) -> video card (converts 0-255 to 16-235 for TV output) -> eeColor (passthrough) -> TV (expecting 16-235)

An alternative would be to let the video card output 0-255 (desktop blacks would be crushed and white clipped) and set madVR to output 16..235. The outcome in terms of the 3D LUT would be identical though.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS