Do I Have This Right

Home Forums Help and Support Do I Have This Right

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Michael
    Participant

I have a new 27″ UHD IPS monitor, and Spyder5 colorimeter. I installed DisplayCAL, and was able to install the Argyll driver for the Spyder5, and run a calibration. I chose to calibrate at 6500°, 90 cd/m^2, and sRGB – a standard profile for a dark room. Even set to “Fast”, it took almost an hour and a half to complete! Not sure why…

Anyway, there are some things I want to make sure I understand about verification. On the verification tab, using the extended verification test chart…

If I uncheck “Simulation Profile”, and run a verification, I’m verifying my monitor against the calibration I just created, to see if the monitor has changed since I created the calibration? This is just a check, correct?

If I check “Simulation Profile”, and choose sRGB-IE61966-2.1 as the simulation profile, and run a verification, I’m testing my monitor, with my just generated calibration applied, against the sRGB standard?

And if, in addition to “Simulation Profile”, I also check “Use Simulation Profile as Target Profile”, I’m testing my monitor, with no calibration applied, against the SRGB standard?

Finally, if I am correct about all this, under “Tone Curve”, which of the three options should I select?

Thanks…

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Even set to “Fast”, it took almost an hour and a half to complete! Not sure why…

The Spyder5 is a relatively slow instrument. “Fast” takes around 10 minutes with an i1DisplayPro, for example.

If I uncheck “Simulation Profile”, and run a verification, I’m verifying my monitor against the calibration I just created, to see if the monitor has changed since I created the calibration? This is just a check, correct?

Yes.

If I check “Simulation Profile”, and choose sRGB-IE61966-2.1 as the simulation profile, and run a verification, I’m testing my monitor, with my just generated calibration applied, against the sRGB standard?

Yes.

And if, in addition to “Simulation Profile”, I also check “Use Simulation Profile as Target Profile”, I’m testing my monitor, with no calibration applied, against the SRGB standard?

Correct.

under “Tone Curve”, which of the three options should I select?

For sRGB, when checking against your current calibration + profile, select “Apply black output offset (100%)”. When checking the display in uncalibrated state, select “Unmodified”.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Eric
    Participant

Yes.

Hello again Florian, can you expound on this a bit?

From my understanding, checking “Simulation profile” but unchecking “Use simulation profile as target profile” means that the current “display chain” (calibration curves loaded and installed ICC profile taken into account) will be verified against sRGB. Is this correct?

If so, how to configure if I want the verification to use the calibration curves only? As I understand it, checking both “Simulation profile” and “Use simulation profile as target profile” means that the monitor will be tested against sRGB with no calibration applied.

Thank you.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Eric.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

From my understanding, checking “Simulation profile” but unchecking “Use simulation profile as target profile” means that the current “display chain” (calibration curves loaded and installed ICC profile taken into account) will be verified against sRGB. Is this correct?

Yes.

If so, how to configure if I want the verification to use the calibration curves only?

That’s not possible.

Eric
    Participant

Ok, thank you anyway. I just wanted to observe and compare the performance of full color correction vs just calibration.

Bela Pesics
    Participant

Very useful posts there, would deserve to be sticky or quoted in the FAQ 😉

Blake T
    Participant

This is confusing as the “use simulation profile as icc profile” box is checked by default after calibration, so it means that this whole time I’ve been verifying my monitor without the applied calibration and 3D LUT (after loading into resolve)?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

This is confusing as the “use simulation profile as icc profile” box is checked by default after calibration, so it means that this whole time I’ve been verifying my monitor without the applied calibration and 3D LUT (after loading into resolve)?

Resolve cannot apply a 3D LUT via its built-in pattern generator. The way DisplayCAL works around this is by applying the 3D LUT directly to the patch values being sent (via device link profile, which is equivalent to the 3D LUT), so if you have that set (and it will be after creating a 3D LUT) you have done everything correctly.

t.g.v
    Participant

+1;

this kinda “problem” is often mentioned. I have to admit I understood it not before the post mentioned.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS