DisplayCal White Level setting

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCal White Level setting

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ching1202
    Participant

I read many tutorial suggest white level to be 100~120cd/m^2. But i find that way too bright (bright: 25% contrast: 75%)for me. Normally in my daily use, my white level is around 35cd/m^2 (bright: 0% contrast: 75%). My question is should I set it to 100cd/m^2 for calibration, then tune brightness down afterward, or set it to my normal level, which is 35?

My monitor is Dell U2717D, w/ Datacolor Spyder5

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Adjust monitor brightness to a level that is comfortable to your eyes in your given environment. You can do that before running any measurements, there is no need to aim for a specific target white level. It is important though to not change the white level after calibration + profiling, otherwise it could invalidate the profile and require a new run.

ching1202
    Participant

Thanks for reply. So that means I only need to set the white level as measure and leave it there. no need to aim for high cd/m^2 as other tutorial mentioned?

I try both setting and it turns out to be quite different calibration result. I can’t decide which is more “accurate”.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So that means I only need to set the white level as measure and leave it there. no need to aim for high cd/m^2 as other tutorial mentioned?

Yes.

I try both setting and it turns out to be quite different calibration result. I can’t decide which is more “accurate”.

The Spyder5 may not be the best device for low light levels because its sensor isn’t very sensitive. You can use verification to check the respective profile accuracy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS