DisplayCAL vs. X-Rite Software

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCAL vs. X-Rite Software

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Colorimeter Corrections: I use a ColorMunki Display and when it set it up the first time I was prompted with the option to load corrections from X-Rite. Once I did that I had a bunch of “Spectral” options appear under Correction. I believe this is what you were referring to?

Yes.

In that list, I see: “Spectral: LCD CCFL Wide Gamut IPS (WG CCFL NEC241 271)”, which is the only thing that mentions Wide Gamet. My laptop, the Dell XPS 15, I believe has a Sharp IGZO display. Would the Wide Gamut correction work for my display?

Modern displays (anything manufactured in the past years) aren’t using CCFL backlights anymore. I suspect some type of LED backlight, but not white LED (which would limit the gamut to roughly sRGB). In case you can’t find information of the exact type of backlight used (or how it compares to an existing technology), use no correction.

I followed your instructions and skipped the interactive adjustment and proceeded to calibrate. Once it was done, I noticed there was a “test calibration” option and I tried it. I got results that sound like calibration failed?

Is the display automatically dimming?

When you say “neutral ‘do nothing’ position”, do you mean just set to software defaults, or do I actual set it to neutral? Those are two different things with the Intel HD Graphics software.

Sorry, I wouldn’t know, because I don’t have Intel graphics hard or software.

So I decided to play around the last day or so and have tried a few different settings and have obtained a couple measurement reports, but I have no idea how to read them. All I can see is the red letters saying “NOT OKAY”.

You’re verifying against ProPhoto RGB, which is an excessively large gamut that will never be covered in full by any real device because it contains colors that are imaginary (not real). Verify against something else (e.g. sRGB).

Hey! Thanks for the reply! I think I’m getting close to satisfying my mind on this calibration business and get back to work!

1. The display is not dimming. After calibration, it would appear that the brightness is increased. Under the Calibration tab, for White Level, I selected Custom and entered 120 cd/m^2, but it always ends up brighter. Is DisplayCAL supposed to set it as entered, 120? Or does it do it’s own thing come up with a different value? The first line below kind of sums up what I’m saying. What about the remainder errors? What do they mean?? In the latest Measurement Report, which I’ve attached, it says this: “Measured luminance: 106.5 cd/m²”, if true, means that the brightness setting changes aren’t taking??  I feel like the interactive adjustment, the “test calibration” option and Measurement Reports seem to all give me different readings regarding the brightness. I ALWAYS calibrate in a dark room. It’s the way I prefer to edit. Not sure if that matters.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               21:37:10,809 Brightness error = 4.681061 cd/m^2 (is 124.681061, should be 120.000000)
      21:37:10,809 White point error = 4.150757 deltaE
      21:37:10,811 Maximum neutral error (@ 0.796124) = 5.481981 deltaE
      21:37:10,811 Average neutral error = 2.986682 deltaE
    2.  Yup! You are right. I did verify it against ProPhotoRGB, which explains the results. For some reason, I wasn’t able to find the AdobeRGB option on my laptop, but it is an option on my desktop? Does that sound right? There are a bunch of options not available on my laptop (see attached images). Since my display is almost 100% AdobeRGB, that is naturally what I would like to test against. I ran the verification test against “interchangable with AdobeRGB” and the results seem to be within the green. Does this mean calibration was successful? I’m assuming “interchangable with AdobeRGB” is the same as AdobeRGB?

Thanks!

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The display is not dimming. After calibration, it would appear that the brightness is increased.

Probably due to display brightness drift. Doesn’t seem to cause any issue with color accuracy though judging from the measurement report.

I wasn’t able to find the AdobeRGB option on my laptop, but it is an option on my desktop?

AdobeRGB is not part of DisplayCAL, you’ll only have it if any other software you use installed it (e.g. Photoshop). “interchangable with AdobeRGB” is the public domain equivalent that comes with ArgyllCMS.

I ran the verification test against “interchangable with AdobeRGB” and the results seem to be within the green. Does this mean calibration was successful?

Successful calibration and accurate profile (very good result btw).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dope dope dope!!! Music to my ears!!

Dude, thank you so much for your time and patience! This software is as amazing as the support behind it! I love learning new sh**!

Take it easy broski!

Anonymous
    Inactive

The display is not dimming. After calibration, it would appear that the brightness is increased.

Probably due to display brightness drift. Doesn’t seem to cause any issue with color accuracy though judging from the measurement report.

I wasn’t able to find the AdobeRGB option on my laptop, but it is an option on my desktop?

AdobeRGB is not part of DisplayCAL, you’ll only have it if any other software you use installed it (e.g. Photoshop). “interchangable with AdobeRGB” is the public domain equivalent that comes with ArgyllCMS.

I ran the verification test against “interchangable with AdobeRGB” and the results seem to be within the green. Does this mean calibration was successful?

Hey! Got one more question for ya!

I plan on calibrating once a month using DisplayCAL. I was wondering if you could give me a few pointers on how to read and what to  look our for in a Measurement Report. I went through all the ones I’ve gotten and don’t really know what I’m looking at. I do see a lot of greens, which tells me it’s good. Very idiot proof. I like. But you said that I got “really good results”. How exactly did you come to that conclusion? What are the things to look for to differentiate between good and very good results?

Thanks again!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I plan on calibrating once a month using DisplayCAL. I was wondering if you could give me a few pointers on how to read and what to look our for in a Measurement Report.

Basically, the lower the delta E, the better.

But you said that I got “really good results”.

Because average is well below 0.5 dE and peak below 1.5.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I plan on calibrating once a month using DisplayCAL. I was wondering if you could give me a few pointers on how to read and what to look our for in a Measurement Report.

Basically, the lower the delta E, the better.

But you said that I got “really good results”.

Because average is well below 0.5 dE and peak below 1.5.

Awesome! Great info! I will add this to my DisplayCAL cheat sheet. Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS