DisplayCal Resolve Flanders gamma errors

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCal Resolve Flanders gamma errors

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Rob Brown
    Participant

Hi I’ve been trying to use DC to calibrate several Flanders monitors using the Resolve workflow and end up with the gamma being off. I followed Flanders instructions putting the monitor in default and disabling the 3d LUT but when I get the LUT loaded in the pluge bar on SMPTE bars is way too  bright. I have Calman and it measured the gamma at 2.1 or so even though the monitor is in 2.4 and all the DC settings are 2.4. I’m using the default DC settings except I turn off vcgt as it gives a message about my video card. Resolve in video levels. I’ve also done this bypassing Resolve using a DVI extender to go from the computer to SDI directly to the monitor and the results are identical.

Anybody have any ideas? The monitor should be in 2.4 during Cal right?

Thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

gamma 2.4 is probably not what you want. You probably want Rec. 1886, which uses a technical exponent of 2.4, but the overall tone response curve is offset by the black level, and thus the effective gamma is lower than 2.4. This is intended by the Rec. 1886 standard.

Rob Brown
    Participant

I started with 1886 which is where I first saw the pluge being way too bright and apparently coming out at gamma 2.1 so I tried plugging in other numbers in the 3D lut area and oddly if I put in 2.5 and 2.8 Calman verified the numbers I put in in DC. When I do 1886 or 2.4 the shadows are too lifted and it’s unusable.  VCGT made no difference.

BTW using i1 Pro and C6 probes and with 2 LM2461 monitors and 1 BM230. Anything else I can do? I’d love this to work it’s not happening.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Changing the gamma parameter to influence the Rec. 1886 result is not the most intuitive way to go about it, what you should do instead is adjust the output offset. Note that for verification, the chosen parameters need to match in all used software.

Rob Brown
    Participant

So as I increase the black output offset the blacks will go down? I’ll try.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS