Display mode

Home Forums Help and Support Display mode

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Oliver
    Participant

Hello,

Sorry if it looks like a very basic question, but I didn’t find the answer. I want to calibrate an Eizo CS240 monitor with an i1 Display Pro on Linux. There are several modes (Custom, sRGB, AdobeRGB). Up to now I use only sRGB and AdobeRGB depending on the output settings in Darktable. Do I have to create a profile for each mode or shall a single profile work in both modes? What does Custom mode really mean? If I make a profile for the Custom mode, which color space will I have to select for the ouput in Darktable?

Oliver

• This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Oliver.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Color Navigator is supported by some Linux distros (RHE). You may try with a USB bootable with a CentOS (installed) an see if it works, then copy generated ICC to your actual setup (calibration is stored in monitor). IMHO HW cal is to valuable to loose it because of your favourite OS lack of support (unless right now CS240 grey is extremely good).
    Then validate results with DisplayCAL (GB-LED spectral forrrection fo your choosing: community, RG_phosphor… etc)

Regarding your questions, if color management in Darktable is working, is configured  properly and you want to limit RAW editing on screen (before exporting) to some colorspace for whatever reasons:

-each OSD mode needs a profile: standard profile if you trust in factory modes, or built with DisplayCAL or other tool.
    Usually you need to set that profile as default for that screen before starting a color managed app.

-“Custom mode” in most monitors allows you to set a custom white point and in some monitors allows you to use some factory precalibrated gamma values and in a subgroup of these you can even play with gamut emulation. A CS240 should allow all of these , check user manual.
    By default “Custom” would be in native gamut with is bigger in reds than AdobeRGB in these GB-LEDs like your CS240. Native gamut is useful if you use color managed apps and a variety of image colorspaces like ProPhotoRGB (or more sensible variants with another TRC), eciRGBv2, AdobeRGB, sRGB.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Vincent.

Oliver
    Participant

Thanks for your very detailed answer. I will try your suggestion.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS