Dell UP2516D + ColorMunki Display + MacbookPro (mid-2012 – Intel HD4000 Graphics

Home Forums General Discussion Dell UP2516D + ColorMunki Display + MacbookPro (mid-2012 – Intel HD4000 Graphics

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Mogily
    Participant

Hi All

I wish to calibrate my Dell UP2516D monitor, using my MacBook Pro and ColorMunki Display.

I am not concerned with the CAL1 & CAL2 user adjustable 3DLUT features at this present time, due to not having anything else than a ColorMunki Display + my MacBook Pro with Intel Graphics. I do not wish to purchase a AMD Graphics Card or Nvidia Quadro or the more expensive i1Pro as I have seen suggested elsewhere. So for now ruling creating a 3DLUT out for CAL1/2.

Just want an accurate 1DLUT for my MacBook Pro’s ICC display profile. I want to use the monitor in Standard mode casually, and both Adobe RGB & SRGB when editing in photoshop.

In DisplayCal3 and under the Custom Color preset of the monitor, I have adjusted the RGB gains and also used the Brightness & Contrast settings of the monitor to adjust in relation to the following DisplayCal settings:-

Display & Instrument:-

Mode :         LCD (Generic)

Correction:  Spectral: LCD RG Phosphor

Calibration settings:-

White Point: As measured

White Level : 120 cd/m2

Calibration Speed: Low

Gamma (standard) : 2.2

Profiling Settings:-

Profile Type : XYZ LUT + Matrix

Profile Quality: High

Test Chart : Auto

Patches : 2681

By using the interactive part of the DisplayCal3 settings I have had to (by default) switch the Dell monitors Uniformity Compensation feature off. But, thankfully I have no banding issues.

I was wondering having done the above, if I can use the Adobe RGB and SRGB as set by Dell originally in the factory and other modes except (CAL1&CAL2) with colour accuracy and be fully (or as much as I can with what I have) confident with my monitors colour accuracy for my colour critical photoshop work.

I am guessing that adjusting the colour and brightness via the Custom Color preset mode in the monitor then saving an ICC profit that it will then have an effect on the colours/brightness etc across the other Preset Modes???

I use Standard preset mode for casual use and again I really need Adobe RGB and SGRB in the Color Space monitor’s preset modes to be accurate.

Or, do I calibrate each setting individually???? If so, I can see a Tone Curve for SRGB but not one for Adobe RGB.

If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated as I need to be sure and feel I have been going around in an endless circle with this.

Many thanks & Best regards

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Or, do I calibrate each setting individually?

Correct.

I can see a Tone Curve for SRGB but not one for Adobe RGB

Adobe RGB is using a gamma of 2.2.

Mogily
    Participant

Hi,

Or, do I calibrate each setting individually?

Correct.

I can see a Tone Curve for SRGB but not one for Adobe RGB

Adobe RGB is using a gamma of 2.2.

Awesome thanks for the response, still wondering about two things to really nail this:-

1. Do I calibrate with Uniformity Compensation On or Off?  If I have it On I cannot have access to RGB gains menu.
    2. Pre-calibrating for each setting I only have access to one Custom Color menu with RGB gains to adjust according to the Interactive menu. Do I just adjust the Brightness and let then hit calibrate for SRGB and Adobe RGB (re 2.2 gamma) ?  Can’t see a work around adjust them individually.

Many thanks Florian!!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Do I calibrate with Uniformity Compensation On or Off? If I have it On I cannot have access to RGB gains menu.

Depends on which one you care more about then.

Pre-calibrating for each setting I only have access to one Custom Color menu with RGB

If the other settings do not offer access to RGB gains, then you can let the calibration deal with the whitepoint adjustment via the graphics card 1D videoLUT (i.e. skip interactive adjustment of RGB in that case).

Mogily
    Participant

Florian,

Super thanks for all of your kind help on this. I hope this dialogue helps other people who are facing the same issues with this series of monitor.

I opened dialogues with Dell and X-Rite in the interim. Which is the reason for my late comeback as wanted to look at all options presented.

X-Rite just said to run their software for the ColorMunki in the AdobeRGB colour preset and leave it at that. Dell wasn’t any great help, I tried several times and never managed to get a monitor expert just people relaying me information from the manual.

In the end, I have opted for …. and have one final question :-

Factory resetting the monitor, on the Display Settings (OS X) putting it on Linear within the Color tab.

Putting the Dell into Custom Color mode.

Setting the brightness with the interactive pop-up in DisplayCal to 120 cd/m2.

Then restarting with it off (not sure this served any benefit) at native.

I didn’t adjust RGB gains in order to keep Uniformity Compensation on, then ran the calibration on slow (same settings as before mentioned within this dialogue) over 833 patches.

I have read that you should have Uniformity Compensation Off for optimal colour calibration which is why I am guessing that it auto-turns off when the monitor is putting into Adobe RGB mode via the presets menu. However, you then open up potential for shifts in colour across the panel which is something which I consider to be far worse.

I think this solution works for now. But, then having to Calibrate each setting on the Dell then make a profile which I will have to change whilst on the setting is hard work, not the calibration part but remembering to change the display profile accordingly.

X-Rite just said leaving it in AdobeRGB then do soft proofing of SRGB in Photoshop. But I quite like the Dell standard mode and having other modes like SRGB available separately.

With that in mind, brings me to my final question. Is there anyway to create a 3DLUT for CAL1 & CAL2 on my monitor without the use of Dell’s software which doesn’t work with my ColorMunki Display?

Thanks again for your kind assistance Florian, you’re a star!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

But, then having to Calibrate each setting on the Dell then make a profile which I will have to change whilst on the setting is hard work, not the calibration part but remembering to change the display profile accordingly.

Technically there is no need for that. I.e, if you have profiled custom color, then there’s no reason to use AdobeRGB and sRGB modes.

Is there anyway to create a 3DLUT for CAL1 & CAL2 on my monitor without the use of Dell’s software

No.

Mogily
    Participant

Florian

Strange but actually my calibration with Uniformity Compensation on does nothing.

I ran the test below, I screen shot the first screen (before.png) as ran it to adjust the brightness level to 120cd/m2 then ran it without the interactive panel, with the attached screenshot ‘settings’.

After the running the tests, I ran the verification ‘report’ as attached. It seems to indicate a WB of 6545/54 when originally I was after 6500k.

I then ran the interactive display again with the ICC installed, and it seems to show the exact same RGB as when I originally started, see ‘after’ screenshot looking virtually like ‘before’. I would’ve assumed that activating the profile would’ve meant when I went back to the interactive display that everything would be perfecting in line?

Is this normal, or am I doing something very wrong here?

Super thanks for all your help!

A*

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Mogily.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Mogily
    Participant

Don’t worry, I overwrited the original that was all…. So stupid.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS