Dell UP screens and Spyder5

Home Forums Help and Support Dell UP screens and Spyder5

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

betazoid
    Participant

Hi, I am thinking about buying a new wide gamut screen. Really there are not many such screens that fit into my wallet. One of them is the Dell UP2526D. However, I already own a Spyder5 calibration device and I read that hardware calibration of this screen is only possible with an i1 Display pro. Now I am thinking about skipping hardware calibration and use it with profiling only. But is profiling this screen with a Spyder possible? And is it possible/reasonable to skip hardware calibration with this screen? Or is the typ of the LED and whether it is supported by the calibration device so crucial?

Thanks in advance

b

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

-Spyders are not very accurate, better get an i1d3.

-Those devices support “spectral corrections”, give some spectral sample of backlight an colorimeter can correct its measurements.

-Default spectral corrections from vendor (Datacolor) do not support UP2516D backlight.

-Xrite vendor corrections do not “exactly match” that backlight.

-There are some sample spectral power distributions (SPD) for this backlight from other sources including DisplayCAL colorimeter correction database… but some of them are “wrong” (not native gamut). You can plot them with ArgyllCMS specplot and check if they are OK or not. If red or green SPD looks like a linear combination (addition) of “something” that looks like native gamut backlight… they are “wrong”. Maybe it’s not an easy task for newbies, but you may get what I’ve explained on your first try.

-It is possible to write calibrations to a UP2516D without using Dell+Xrite calibration tool. Dell published an SDK to do that kind of task.. but you need to know how to program in C++. UP2516D calibration, like many other models, use a LUT-matrix-LUT structure to store calibration.
    The easiest approach is to leave 1st LUT as identity, 3×3 matrix as identity and store un 2nd LUT a DisplayCAL calibration that includes whiet point correction in GPU calibration (“*.cal” file interpolated to LUT size).
    It’s not an easy task but since you asked…yes, it is possible to you to measure, calibrate&profile a UP2516D with a Spyder using HW calibration.
    Go to Dell site and look for SDK for UP monitors.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Vincent.

betazoid
    Participant

Thanks for the answer. Well, that SDK thing is probably nothing for me.

What about profiling only? Do I need a i1 dp for that too, or that other complicated thing you described?

Well, what I understand form your post: It is not easy to calibrate/profile this particular screen well, not even with the x-rite device. Is this correct?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by betazoid.

Vincent
    Participant

A i1d3 is a very accurate device. Even with “standard” GB-LED correction (RGphosphor) measurements will be very close to a fine tuned W-LED widegamut backlight like the one used in a UP. (Note: W-LED widegamut IS NOT a “WLED backlight” which is close to sRGB gamut)
    So with a relatively cheap accurate device it is not difficult to read it with accuracy. What I answered is how to get “the best”.

Anyway, does your computer suffer from calibration induced banding artifacts?  color steps in grey gradients in non color managed enviroments.

NO? Then do not limit yourself to profile only the screen. Use “custom color mode”, use RGB gains and do a full graphics crad calibration and profiling with your spyder (better to use an i1d3) and good correction for it.
    You can do the same for factory precalibrated modes.

YES? Choose the lesser evil. If banding bothers you too much and you do not care for an extremely accurate white point use then “profile only” as you said the fatory precalibrated modes like sRGB/AdobeRGB. You’ll need one per OSD mode. You’ll ned to have as default profile the matching profile before you start most of color managed apps. Keep this in mind. Same would apply if you could use CALx modes with HW calibration.
    You can even “profile only” the Custom color mode with RGB gain access (so you can fine tune white point) as long as grey ramp is visually neutral, otherwise some prolems and visual artifacts may happen in gradients.

betazoid
    Participant

Well, thanks.

Does none else have experience with this issue?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS