Dell U2412M and black levels

Home Forums Help and Support Dell U2412M and black levels

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Klaas Wiedijk
    Participant

Good day (or night 😉 )
    I’ve already created a very satisfactory profile using a still very capable DTP 94.

I’ve set the whitepoint at 100 cdm².

Now I’m wondering if it’s possible to squeeze out some even deeper blacks by

for example setting the whitepoint to say 90 cdm², with which I can perfectly live.

I’ve not touched the contrast settings as it is generally advised not to do when profiling because it affects the whitepoint to a certain extent.

I’ve attached two screenshots of my current profile,  with  absolute & relative intent.

And, for that matter, is there any room for improvement in general?

Thanks very much!, cheers, Klaas.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Klaas Wiedijk.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Klaas Wiedijk
    Participant

Oops!, here’s the other one.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

WolfPeace
    Participant

I have experience with few u2412m and most of them were targeted to around 100-110 cd/m² white level. Your profile looks good.

I doubt you will achieve major improvement in black level with lowering white level value from 100 to 90 cd/m², although you can very easily test the change in black level in DisplayCal by running: “Tools-Run report on uncalibrated display device” after setting the desired levels with interactive display adjustment at the start of calibration(just cancel the rest of calibration when you are done adjusting display with it’s OSD menu)

Please note also that your monitor(and many others as well) might not be totally stable. For example even on same whitepoint level you might get different black level readings(in my experience these readings can vary up to 20% of the average measurement value). So ideally you would compare the average black level values from multiple measurements for accurate comparison.

Pneumatic
    Participant

To squeeze out the absolute best black level you should set the Contrast control on the monitor as high as it will go before white starts clipping and/or discolouring.

Check this image and keep increasing Contrast until the 100% box starts going a weird colour relative to the 90% box  (usually yellow) , or if the last few shades on the ramp start becoming the same brightness.

Sometimes one picture mode on the monitor will start clipping at a higher point than another mode even though their Contrast settings are the same.

With a higher Contrast value you will be able to reduce the backlight to compensate and have a better black level.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Pneumatic.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Pneumatic.

Klaas Wiedijk
    Participant

Gentlemen, thank you very much, nice!

I’ll report back later, Cheers, Hoos.

Klaas Wiedijk
    Participant

Gentlemen, thank you again; it worked, I combined the two suggestions you made. It surely makes a positive difference albeit slight, but taken into account for that matter.

Lovely; again thanks, cheers, Klaas.

Klaas Wiedijk
    Participant

Finally I ended up with contrast settings at 80% and brightness at 95 cdm². This is going to stay for at least a while, never had it so good.

Thanks again, cheers, Klaas.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS