Daylight vs. Blackbody

Home Forums Help and Support Daylight vs. Blackbody

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I want all monitors to be calibrated to the same standard and look the same.

Calibration is only the first step – albeit a crucial step when the goal is to match several different monitors. It is used to ensure a specific target whitepoint and gray balance in non-color-managed applications.

But the actual “real deal” is the profiling. This enables color managed applications to produce the same color appearance (within device limits) across devices.

Pretty much what I would figure anyone buying a colorimeter would want.

It may be what they want, but it is not what they’re going to get unless they put the required work in and are aware of the preconditions (and limitations). Matching three different screens with different gamuts and backlight technologies is going to be far more challenging than having, for example, three WLED backlit displays with roughly the same gamut. It can be done though.

I’m not trying anything fancy at all.

Well, you may think that, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s actually the case. As a starting point, you can read the FAQ entry about what is required to match displays of different types (it also explains some of the underlying challenges with regards to human vision).

And still don’t know why that blackbody option is even there.

[…]

I’m asking why the new display, calibrated with daylight, actually now looks somewhat similar to my other displays calibrated with black body.

It’s the wrong question to ask when all you want to do is get the displays to match. What you should be asking is “How do I get my displays to match?”. And I already gave some pointers in that regard.

And yes, the new Dell Canvas I have currently set to no correction as I don’t know which one to use. You are most welcome to help with that.

If you were hoping that I somehow have some inside information about this specific Dell display, then I’m afraid that is not the case.

Gigantoad
    Participant

Could you still please tell me the difference between daylight and blackbody?

So you are saying if I calibrate 4 monitors with different technologies to the same say 6500k/120cd daylight, they do NOT necessarily end up looking the same? Even roughly? I just don’t understand how that is possible.

As for the Dell Canvas, surely you are more knowledgable than me and could point me in the right direction. Here are the specs:

https://dellemcevents.com/uploads/Dell-Canvas-Spec-Sheet-1.pdf

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Could you still please tell me the difference between daylight and blackbody?

Daylight is literally the equivalent of a daylight (=sun light) spectrum. Blackbody (or planckian) is the equivalent of light emitted by a blackbody radiator (a device that, when heated up, emits light). You can find more information on Wikipedia.

So you are saying if I calibrate 4 monitors with different technologies to the same say 6500k/120cd daylight, they do NOT necessarily end up looking the same? Even roughly? I just don’t understand how that is possible.

I already talked briefly about the “how/why”, and it is also  explained in the FAQ in some more detail.

As for the Dell Canvas, surely you are more knowledgable than me and could point me in the right direction. Here are the specs:

It’s not about knowledge, but presence (or lack of) information. Nowhere in  that document is the type of backlight mentioned, for example.

Gigantoad
    Participant

Alright, thanks. I’m reading the FAQ and lots of answers seem to be in there, sorry I wasn’t aware of it. Indeed what I’ve kinda done already, manually matching the white point, is actually a valid method.  It says:

if you’re creating a 3D LUT, setting the 3D LUT rendering intent to “Relative colorimetric” so that calibration or the 3D LUT do not change the whitepoint).

What is a 3D LUT, is that what is created by the profiling step with the patches?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Indeed what I’ve kinda done already, manually matching the white point, is actually a valid method.

Yes, it is. This is the most likely path to success in your case.

What is a 3D LUT, is that what is created by the profiling step with the patches?

You don’t need (or want) to create a 3D LUT, that’s for very specific applications (e.g. some specialized video grading software). What you want to try is follow the 3rd FAQ entry https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/frequently-asked-questions/#visual-mismatch

Gigantoad
    Participant

Ok, so just making sure this is valid. I have set the colors on the monitor to have a certain white. I set the whitepoint as measured, 6500k daylight, start calibration, start measurement. Now the color bars are off, especially green is too low. I leave it and continue to calibration anyway?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Ok, so just making sure this is valid. I have set the colors on the monitor to have a certain white. I set the whitepoint as measured, 6500k daylight, start calibration, start measurement. Now the color bars are off, especially green is too low. I leave it and continue to calibration anyway?

Not quite. If you already have achieved a visual match between monitors, set whitepoint to “As measured” on the calibration tab, and then start calibration & profiling.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS