Davinci Resolve 3D Lut Input/output encoding

Home Forums Help and Support Davinci Resolve 3D Lut Input/output encoding

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

postedison SourceForge

Hello!

First of all thank you for creating this awesome program! 🙂 I used it to calibrate my client tv via Davinci Resolve, and my measurment report results were really good. What I m not sure about is if I used the proper signal workflow, and I want to double check. From Resolve I have set the monitoring to video levels (16-235) and also I set the input and the output encoding in DCG to 16-235 in the 3D LUT preset. I m just curious, because when I m looking at my scopes with the lut on in the 3d video monitoring section I can see a “line” around the 16 range, which seems a little strange, when I m not using any correction Lut it is gone.

Should I change the input or the output encoding to 0-255? Is my signal path correct?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Report file: http://efshare.com/?s=GSH24B

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

> From Resolve I have set the monitoring to video levels (16-235) and also I set the input and the output encoding in DCG to 16-235 in the 3D LUT preset.

Resolve takes care of the levels, thus a 3D LUT that is going to be used in Resolve needs to be always created with full range (0..255) input/output encoding.

Report file: http://efshare.com/?s=GSH24B

The link seems to point to a broken page (I get a page with a “Receive” tab, two empty lists “Download from available file(s)” and “Save file(s) to disk”, and a message box reading “Connecting to sender” with a spinner but no indication of progress that seems to stay around indefinitely).

postedison SourceForge

Oh I m sorry, I will update the report soon. It is really wierd, I created 2 correction one with the 16-235 range and one with the 0-255 range and it looks like resolve is applying the LUT after the signal conversion. So basically what I have is Legal range output from resolve, and my tv is set to legal range too. When I applied the 0-255 LUT the picture got a lot softer, and less contrasty so I think there was a conversion error, in the other hand when I did the calibration with 16-235 the image looked almost identical as it looked in my srgb calibrated screen. I think Resolve is applying the LUT after the conversion so: 0-255 Resolve timeline ->16-235 output signal -> 3D LUT – > TV Screen 16-235. So The question stands if the LUT is being applyed to the 16-235 signal do I have to do the calibration 0-255, I can see in the scopes that something is wrong, ?

Tomorrow I will do another calibration to rec 709 2.2 gamma, and I will do one with the Legal and one with the Full range and I will share my results, I uploaded my previous calibration report what I did and used the input output 16-235 path.

Thank you for your answer! 🙂

• This reply was modified on 2015-10-20 15:08:36 by postedison.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

A way to know if you have raised black level is to measure at a black patch through the LUT and without.

postedison SourceForge

You were completely right, and I was wrong. The problem came from a Tv setting. I will try to get a spectro and will do another calibration then. Thank you for your help!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS