Creating 3dlut while using the existing calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Creating 3dlut while using the existing calibration

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

omarank
    Participant

I use a color profile using Windows Color Management for desktop greyscale and gamma calibration. The color profile has vcgt tags. Now I want to create a 3dlut for madVR using DisplayCAL which should work with the existing vcgt calibration loaded. Since I don’t want any calibration to be done by DisplayCAL, I unchecked “use Interactive Display adjustment” and set Tone Curve as measured. Still every time I try to create a 3dlut after Profiling (only), DisplayCAL tends to reset the LUT while taking the measurements and the created 3dlut when loaded in madVR also triggers madVR to reset the ramps.

Please suggest what settings should I use in DisplayCAL so that it doesn’t reset the LUT anytime while taking measurements or doing verification of the 3dlut. Also the created 3dlut should not trigger madVR to reset the LUT when it is loaded?

Besides, I am using a colorimeter (i1 Display Pro) and don’t have any spectrophotometer. So I cannot generate a display specific correction for the colorimeter. Still, should I be using any correction file for the display or just stay with Auto (None)? The display is Sony W800B LED TV and has an edge lit White LED VA Panel.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I use a color profile using Windows Color Management for desktop greyscale and gamma calibration. The color profile has vcgt tags.

No, it doesn’t – Microsoft has devised their own way to store calibration information based on WCS. You can use the currently available DisplayCAL 3.2.6 Beta which can read the MS calibration information.

[…] should I be using any correction file for the display or just stay with Auto (None)? The display is Sony W800B LED TV and has an edge lit White LED VA Panel.

Use “Spectral: White LED”.

S Simeonov
    Participant

A side question – do we have to check “disable gpu gamma ramps” when using “enable windowed overlay” with 3DLUT?

omarank
    Participant

I use a color profile using Windows Color Management for desktop greyscale and gamma calibration. The color profile has vcgt tags.

No, it doesn’t – Microsoft has devised their own way to store calibration information based on WCS. You can use the currently available DisplayCAL 3.2.6 Beta which can read the MS calibration information.

[…] should I be using any correction file for the display or just stay with Auto (None)? The display is Sony W800B LED TV and has an edge lit White LED VA Panel.

Use “Spectral: White LED”.

Thanks for the reply. I was talking about ICC profile with vcgt tags that is being loaded by Windows color management. Anyway, I wanted to ask what setting in DisplayCAL should I use such that it doesn’t signal madTPG to reset the VideoLUT at any time through the profiling/calibration process. Also the generated 3dlut when loaded in madVR should not signal madVR to reset the ramps.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Anyway, I wanted to ask what setting in DisplayCAL should I use such that it doesn’t signal madTPG to reset the VideoLUT at any time through the profiling/calibration process.

If you want to use an existing calibration, set tone curve on the calibration tab to “as measured” and disable interactive display adjustment.

Also the generated 3dlut when loaded in madVR should not signal madVR to reset the ramps.

Untick “Apply calibration (vcgt)” on the 3D LUT tab (advanced options need to be enabled to see this). Note that I don’t recommend this usually as the attainable quality using madVR with a 3D LUT that has the calibration applied is generally higher or at least of the same quality as applying the calibration via the videoLUT (which may be limited to 8 bit).

omarank
    Participant

Ok, thanks. Two more questions:

1. After I have done the profiling at a certain peak luminance, say 80 nits. Is it possible to create a 3dlut from the same profile which can limit the peak luminance to 50 nits (for dark room) so that I can toggle between the 3dluts depending upon the room light?
    2. For a complete profiling+3dlut creation process done through DisplayCAL, is it possible to see the ArgyllCMS commands that were used in the process?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

After I have done the profiling at a certain peak luminance, say 80 nits. Is it possible to create a 3dlut from the same profile which can limit the peak luminance to 50 nits (for dark room) so that I can toggle between the 3dluts depending upon the room light?

No. It’s generally not advisable to limit  luminance through the 3D LUT because you would loose a lot of contrast. I would just profile the TV at the brightness level that is most important to you, and then use the same profile and 3D LUT.

For a complete profiling+3dlut creation process done through DisplayCAL, is it possible to see the ArgyllCMS commands that were used in the process?

Logfiles are created for each run.

omarank
    Participant

Got it. Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS