Creating 3D LUTs from ICC profiles

Home Forums Help and Support Creating 3D LUTs from ICC profiles

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Miles Jeffery
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve created a colour calibration profile with DisplayCAL using the following settings:

• Colour temperature: 6500K
    • White level: 120cd/m²
    • Tone curve: Gamma 2.2

If I want to create 3D LUTs for MadVR and ReShade with different a tone curve to my above profile do I need to do another calibration with a matching tone curve then use that to create my 3D LUT or can I just use my gamma 2.2 profile?

i.e. If I want a Rec. 1886 profile for MadVR, create a new profile with a tone curve of Rec. 1886 then create a 3D LUT from this with tone curve Rec. 1886 and add that to MadVR.

Additionally, I can see that there are separate preconfigured setting for MadVR and ReShade. Is it necessary  or advisable to run a ‘Calibrate and profile’ for each of these options to create profiles and 3D LUTs or can I just use my existing calibration?

Vincent
    Participant

Just put that new TRC in LUT3Dcreator  configuration, Open LUT3D creator, put your display profile as destination. Source is colorspace of your content.
    It is advised to do not use Rec1886 on a very limited contrast display like an IPS. Use 2.4 instead.

1 display profile, n content colorspaces => n LUT3Ds

Miles Jeffery
    Participant

Thank you, Vincent. I shall try that.

With regards to your comment regarding limited contrast displays, I am using a VA panel with a measured contrast of around 2800:1. Would this be sufficient for displaying a Rec. 1886 tone curve?

Vincent
    Participant

I do not remember. Google “ITU-R rec. 1886” and see definition.

Miles Jeffery
    Participant

Thank you, I’ll take a look.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS