Correct calibration settings for new monitors?

Home Forums Help and Support Correct calibration settings for new monitors?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Doc Bean
    Participant

I’ve always used Datacolor’s calibration software with my Spyder 4 instrument. While I was considering upgrading to Spyder 5, it was suggested to me to continue using Spyder 4, but use the DisplayCAL calibration software instead. Now I have to say DisplayCAL looks very impressive (well done!) but it can be overwhelming for people like me who are not experts in this field. So I’ve calibrated using various tutorials on the web, specifically this one. Whether it is correct, especally as I’m using standard run of the mill monitors (BENQ GL2460), I have no idea.

Anyway, I decided to get new monitors and purchased a pair of LG 23MP68VQ-P monitors. This is arriving on Tuesday, and I would like to calibrate them correctly. Therefore I would greatly appreciate it if the appropiate calibration settings could be suggested.

Thank you in advance.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The defaults should work fine. As measurement mode, use “White LED” for your Spyder4. If you want to match the monitors to one another, have a look at the FAQ.

Doc Bean
    Participant

Thank you.

I had a look at the FAQ, and I’m not quite sure how to match the monitors to one another.  I’ll read it again to see if it’ll become clearer to me.

One last question: do I need to enable the Ambient light level adjustment option? I use my system from early morning till very late at night, so my light varies from daylight to lightbulb.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

One last question: do I need to enable the Ambient light level adjustment option?

Unless you have a specific use for it (it doesn’t look like it), I would recommend against it.

Doc Bean
    Participant

Thanks.

One last question (hopefully!). Re the interactive display adjustment window, according to the documentation, “For LCD displays, you will in most cases only want to adjust white point”.

Does that mean adjusting the Red, Green and Blue until the target has been met? If yes, is there a particular order, as adjusting the one seems to affect the others. And do I change the Brightness level as well? If I change that, will that affect the RGB measurements?

My White Point is set to 6500K.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Does that mean adjusting the Red, Green and Blue until the target has been met?

Yes.

If yes, is there a particular order, as adjusting the one seems to affect the others.

No particular order, but it makes sense to start with the channel that requires the strongest correction. Adjust that some, then go to the next, and so on, cycling through them. The amount of adjustment needed will get smaller and smaller with each cycle.

And do I change the Brightness level as well?

Yes, as long as you want to hit that particular brightness (if you’re happy with what you get after adjusting RGB, there’s no need to).

If I change that, will that affect the RGB measurements?

Usually backlight adjustment has little effect on RGB balance. If it has, simply re-do any RGB fine-tuning that may be needed after adjusting backlight.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS