Consistency problem, Spyder3+Dell P2217H

Home Forums Help and Support Consistency problem, Spyder3+Dell P2217H

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

ctmdragon
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I’ve been using DisplayCAL for about a week now, and it is definitely leagues ahead of the software that came with the colorimeter I use, the Spyder3.  Many thanks to Florian and everyone else involved in making this happen!

Im here today to ask for your guys’ knowledge and expertise on the software..

so recently I bought a Dell P2217H as a secondary monitor beside my Dell U2713HM.  At similar PPI densities and panel qualities, they work wonderfully side by side.

Calibrating the U2713HM has been pretty easy, as it gave consistently good results, plus, I found a matching ccmx correction file to go along with the Spyder3+U2713HM combination. Gets to around ~99% sRGB at around 6500K (+-70) consistently.

QUESTION 1: My issue is with the newer P2217H, which has no correction file available for it as of writing. Initally, during pre-calibration, I set correction to “Auto” and it gives me “Auto (none)”.  Beside the Spyder3 name, the input is set to “LCD generic”, and the only other option is “Refresh” which I never use. Note that I am not getting a W-LED option, which is the actual technology panel of the P2217H. I proceed to calibrate, and it shows that sRGB gamut extends up to  97.7%. Odd, I thought. It raised some questions for me because on a recent review I read, the reviewer managed to only get about ~91% sRGB on the monitor. (Link: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/p2217h

I went ahead to try a, perhaps, applicable correction file—instead of “Auto/none”, I picked “Spyder3-Apple Cinema Display W-LED”. Really just because it said W-LED there. I dont really even know if it’s compatible at all. So, I proceed to calibrate, and it got me around 89.9% sRGB. It’s not too bad for me, as the two monitors display colors so beautifully and accurately I hardly see any difference unless I reaallyy get close and actively try.

Getting to the point, which calibration setting should I be using for the P2217H? The two options seem to be delivering excellent color fidelity either way, with ave dE00<0.5.

the correction file problem doesnt affect the U2713HM so much, because even if i set it to “none” vs the “spyder3+u2713HM.ccmx”, the sRGB coverage results seem to be virtually identical (+-1.0%)

QUESTION 2: in the link I’ve just provided, the review of the P2217H, they mention the contrast ratio for the monitor goes for about ~1200:1. Meanwhile, in TFTcentral’s review on the U2713HM, the contrast goes for about ~850:1. Both would be considered good for IPS displays. Before I had these two, I owned dual Dell U2414Hs, with about ~970:1 contrast ratio as per TFTcentral’s review. Unfortunately, based on my verifications on these 3 Dell monitor models, I’m only able to read contrast ratios ranging from about ~500:1 for P2217H, ~550:1 for U2713HM, and about ~600:1 for the U2414Hs. I really don’t know what’s going on here, could someone please share their thoughts on this? And does this contrast ratio reviews-results disparity affect the quality of actual color patch measurements’ dE(s)? Visually, they’re all good performing monitors, even contrast wise—all set to 0-255 full Range, and can visually compare with my iPhone 6’s contrast. Pre-calibration OSD adjustments are always on-point, I really dont know what else to do with those inconsistent contrast ratio readings.

Thanks  a lot guys, and my apologies for the lengthy post!

Ctm.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Getting to the point, which calibration setting should I be using for the P2217H?

Without a higher quality and more accurate instrument (i.e. a spectrometer) to check, this is not a question that can really be answered.

Unfortunately, based on my verifications on these 3 Dell monitor models, I’m only able to read contrast ratios ranging from about ~500:1 for P2217H, ~550:1 for U2713HM, and about ~600:1 for the U2414Hs

Measuring contrast accurately requires an instrument with good low light sensitivity – none of the Spyders provide that. Also, the native contrast can only be obtained with the display in factory mode (or by setting the highest possible RGB gain without clipping, and not limiting any of the channels through the video card gamma tables either).

ctmdragon
    Participant

Florian,

I am upgrading to an i1Display Pro soon, and hopefully I can have more consistent readings. Will update if I find anything relevant, otherwise, thanks for the speedy and informative reply.

ctm

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

ctmdragon
    Participant

Hello Florian,

I just got my i1DisplayPro today and tested a calibration+verification with the U2713HM.

While I think the contrast ratio is now more true to other testers’ measurements (mainly TFTCentral),  I encountered a problem with the gamma results. Instead of giving me an approximate 2.2 gamma result from 0-100%, it’s now showing an intense upward curve coming from 2.2 going towards the higher ranges as the graph’s x-axis approaches 100%.

I have yet to test the new colorimeter on the P2217H such that I am speaking in relevance to the topic, but I don’t expect any problems to arise except for this gamma issue I’m seeing for the U2713HM.

I will attach the recent Verification htmls, first with the newer i1Display and then with my older Spyder3.  Any recommendations?

Best,
    ctm

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Did you use ambient light level adjustment?

The verifications are from different profiles with different calibration settings.

ctmdragon
    Participant

The i1Display profile had ambient level adjustment on—should i go ahead and turn it off then recal? Was that what causes the gamma charts to go waaay off? Being a beginner, I never would have thought they could be related at all, and if they are, wow, thanks for pointing it out. Curious as to what happened exactly with the intense gamma deviation and its relationship to ambient etc. I did try to browse the forums for answers too, but it’s looking like I’m the only one with this problem so far?

I am thinking about changing the profile from Current to Default 2.2 or Office & Web 2, maybe it can reset the display thus a straighter 2.2 gamma result.

ctmdragon
    Participant

Disabling advanced options and setting gamma to 2.2 (D65, 120cd/m^2) seems to remove the ambient light adjustment off the table automatically.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The i1Display profile had ambient level adjustment on—should i go ahead and turn it off then recal? Was that what causes the gamma charts to go waaay off?

Well, that is what ambient adjustment is supposed to do – adjust the tone curve in accordance to the measured ambient light level. If you do not want that, you should turn it off (note that my general recommendation is to not use calibration ambient adjustment, as it won’t affect how color managed content is displayed anyway).

ctmdragon
    Participant

Did a recal on the U27 following your recommended settings. Gamma is looking excellent at approx 2.2 all the way. Time to finish up with the P22.

Thank you Florian, the solution and your assistance is perfectly on point.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS