Color profile for video (MPV)

Home Forums Help and Support Color profile for video (MPV)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

tanpo
    Participant

What’s the correct way to make profiles for video targeting different gammas to use with the video player, MPV?

I have made three profiles – BT1886 2.4 absolute 100% offset, 2.2 relative 100%, and 2.4 relative 100% for a laptop screen with about 800-900 CR & 2.3ish native gamma using an i1d3. I load these into MPV with the ‘set icc-profile …’ command. Here’s where the issues begin…

If I load a profile in MPV AND apply calibration via dispwin AND override the video encoding gamma to the corresponding gamma e.g. (2.2 for 2.2 profile), I get huge black crush on 2.2 & 2.4 (cannot see any black levels between 17-25). BT1886 looks fine – I can see down to about level 18/19.

If I load a profile in MPV AND apply calibration via dispwin, then all profiles look exactly the same. Checking black levels confirm there is no difference in gamma between each setting.

If I just load a profile, the BT1886 profile ramps looks fine – gradual transition to black; 2.2 looks okay but fairly sharp transition to black (I take it to be due to the use of relative gamma & 100% offset); 2.4 looks okay again, BUT is brighter than 2.2….what is going on here??

Verifying each profile in dispcal with the Rec709 simulation profile with the corresponding gamma settings seem to indicate the profiles themselves are fine – the actual gamma matches pretty close to the target gamma and the lower gamma at the black end due to offset.

Any idea what I should do to be able to watch my videos in my choice of BT1886, 2.2, and 2.4 gamma?

Thanks

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

IDNK mpv command line but if a video player is color managed you use just 1 display profile ( = display description). Then you configure the player to treat source video as g2.2 or g.2.4 or whatever.
    Otherwise (different display profiles with different gammas) you are not color managing… you are using a not color managed video player changing display gamma with calibration stored in ICC profile (VCGT tag).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS