Color matching to Reference monitor

Home Forums Help and Support Color matching to Reference monitor

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hex-a
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I may have a particular set of circumstances here so I have been unable to find a real solution to my problem.

I have the following:

OLED laptop (Razer Blade 15)
    Sony ZD9 TV
    NEC Spectraview II CCFL Reference monitor with its own hardware calibration using SV II software.

I trust the NEC monitor colours and results. Grades translate very well to other panels. I cannot bring it with me when I travel.
    I like working on the TV as well as using it for client viewing.

As you can imagine, I want to bring the other two to the closest possible visual match. I’ve had no success.

The laptop has auto-brightness adjust by Windows turned off.

First try, as you can imagine, failed misserably when trying to profile the laptop and the TV with “D65” in DisplayCal as the target. Every panel has its own flavour of D65. The laptop has very saturated colours, so I have tamed them by using the Intel Graphics Control Panel and turning the overall saturation of the panel down by 11 points. I profiled again after doing that and the result is a tiny bit better.

I also tried the “chromacity” coordinates taken from the NEC monitor and using those as target to the other 2 displays. No dice.

I am using an i1 Display Pro.
    White Point Compensation set on Laptop
    No compensation set for TV

Please, please help me.

PS: If I was to just profile to D65 with each panel doing its own thing, the ave dE would be less than .5  with max dE less than 1 for any given result, BUT they look different. I wonder, as many before me (and after me, I am sure)  have, why is there a visual difference if the measured colour by the instrument feeds back into the loop of the software to correct the represenation of each colour?

PS2: I see an option with Dispcal to create a correction profile per panel per instrument but I cannot seem to work it out. I seem to need a Spectrophotometer as well. ALSO, what correction can I use for the OLED panel in the options given? For the ZD9 I chose QLED Samsung Q9 because that I believe it is the same tech (maybe even same panel) as Sony’s Quantum Dot Triluminous panel of the ZD9.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

-First of all measure NEC white coordinates with DisplayCAL. WG CFL correction for PA241W, older widegamut CCFL models may use a mix between PA241W B & G and standard CCFL Red.

-Set those coordinates as target white for laptop, use RGB OLED correction. Make a displayCal calibration.
    If matches “close”, done.

-If does not match by a huge visual distance, set RGB OLED correction fro i1display pro as before but use “visual whitepoint editior” (on the right in white point target)

Same as laptop for TV. IDNK which backlight tecnology. Bundled samples have a QLED TV but older triluminous frm sony and others use a WLED PSF. Since you have access to RGB gains in TV choose the correction that gets a better visua match when you do a numeric match using RGB controls and NEC’s white as target.

Hex-a
    Participant

-First of all measure NEC white coordinates with DisplayCAL. WG CFL correction for PA241W, older widegamut CCFL models may use a mix between PA241W B & G and standard CCFL Red.

• If you mean to use DisplayCal’s own White patch on the PA301W to measure and use as reference for the other two panels, I have done that already.

-Set those coordinates as target white for laptop, use RGB OLED correction. Make a displayCal calibration.
    If matches “close”, done.

• I have done this as well (there are two RGB OLED correction choices and I believe they may both be the same?)

-If does not match by a huge visual distance, set RGB OLED correction fro i1display pro as before but use “visual whitepoint editior” (on the right in white point target)

• Isn’t this the same as the first point above? That’s what generates the white patch I measure to get the chromacity coordinates.

Thank you for your help!

Vincent
    Participant

• Isn’t this the same as the first point above? That’s what generates the white patch I measure to get the chromacity coordinates.

Thank you for your help!

No, you fix white it visually

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS