Changing Green levels in OSD not detected by DisplayCal interactive calibrator

Home Forums Help and Support Changing Green levels in OSD not detected by DisplayCal interactive calibrator

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Firedrops
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I have 6 different monitors (including 2 laptops), and on only one of them, there is a very odd issue. I am using DisplayCal 3.6 with Spyder5Expreess, and 99% followed this guide https://www.ceos3c.com/misc/calibrate-your-screen-with-displaycal-and-a-spyder-5/ and used default options where not discussed.

It is a LG 25UM58-P.  While in the interactive calibration part at the very start of the calibration process, changing green levels in my OSD does not affect the white test patch that DisplayCal is using at all. The rest of the screen is very noticeably affected by the OSD green changes, just not the white test patch. But the Red and Blue levels seem to be properly reflected and detected by the white test patch.

Does anyone know how I could fix this weird issue? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

changing green levels in my OSD does not affect the white test patch that DisplayCal is using at al

you’re already overdriving at least one of the R, G and B channels. Reduce them all until you see a change again. Then increase them one by one until you hit the limit again. Make note of the channel values for future reference. This is the usable range within which you can make adjustments on that particular monitor.

Firedrops
    Participant

Hi Florian,

Thank you for the reply. Indeed, it appears that decreasing the Green levels is registered by DisplayCal, but increasing is not, so I have left it at 50, with OSD R:G:B at 42:50:30 to attain DisplayCal ‘ideal’ balance.

However, after a calibration run, the screen becomes very noticeably “bright” and washed out. It kind of feels like Gamma got jacked way high, but I’m not familiar with this area enough to say that’s the case. For example, where there’s usually 2 tones of grey in a Windows Explorer scroll bar, there is now only 1, the “lighter” grey became identical to the “pure white” of the window area, and  the “darker” grey scroll bar itself becomes a light grey. My wallpaper also appeared to become whiter and brighter overall with lower contrast.

Does this sound like a methodical problem, or did I just randomly get a bad run?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Firedrops.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Are you driving the monitor with the correct output levels? If you’re currently using 0..255, switch to 16..235 (video levels).

Firedrops
    Participant

Hi Florian,

Thank you for the reply again. I have googled the problem in the mean time and it turns out LG’s energy saving ‘feature’ was messing with channel and brightness values, I turned it off completely and a calibration run turned out as expected

Sorry, I don’t understand why go down to 16-235? Aren’t those for old monitors/TVs with more limited color depth?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

LG’s energy saving ‘feature’ was messing with channel and brightness

Ah, that explains it. Yes, such features need to be disabled for calibration and profiling.

Sorry, I don’t understand why go down to 16-235?

No need, as you already figured out what the problem was.

Aren’t those for old monitors/TVs with more limited color depth?

Hasn’t to do with color depth, just with the signal the monitor/TV expects (TVs generally expect video levels, but some monitors do too).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS