can’t get program to recognize Spyder5 in XP

Home Forums Help and Support can’t get program to recognize Spyder5 in XP

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

alfsorenson SourceForge

Hi Florian,

Alf here again starting my inquiries with getting function in XP Home, SP3. I used the quick start guide once again, switched drivers from the Datacolor ones to Argyll, but can’t seem to get discal to recognize the device (nothing appears when I click on the icon to “detect display devices and instruments”). One thing I note that may or may not be a factor is that when I switch to the Argyll driver, the Spyder no longer appears under the Universal Serial Bus controller category, but in it’s own category with heading “Argyll LibUSB-win32 devices” and suheading for the driver, “Spyder5 (Argyll)”. Also, although I tried to import colorimeter corrections from other devices, such as the previously installed Datacolor software, I get an error about .exe file not being a valid Win32 application. Not sure if corrections are needed as I’m guessing the Spyder has one built in (under Ubuntu was set to auto(none)… so I’m guessing no other import needed) but thought I would mention it. Using Win version of dispalGUI 3.0.4.3 with Argyll 1.8.3.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Alf

• This topic was modified on 2015-12-02 18:55:44 by alfsorenson.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I get an error about .exe file not being a valid Win32 application

You need to use the 32-bit Argyll executables on any 32-bit system like Windows XP.

alfsorenson SourceForge

Yes, of course, a big oversight on my part! Appears to be working now. Thanks again! Alf

alfsorenson SourceForge

Profiling completed and implemented on the XP system, but appears to have what I feel is a blue cast. During initial adjustment when the colorimeter was in place, I had to increase my monitor’s blue color to get the 3 bars to line up in the center. Also, I had to increase screen brightness to the max and it was still 10% less than recommended. Not sure what happened. The final sRGB was 93%, lower than when I used the Datacolor software. Any idea what’s going on? Thanks…..

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Profiling completed and implemented on the XP system, but appears to have what I feel is a blue cast.

Which measurement mode did you use? Does it match the backlight type of the display?

Also, I had to increase screen brightness to the max and it was still 10% less than recommended.

There is no “recommended” brightness unless you set a target. What target brightness did you set?

The final sRGB was 93%

Doesn’t seem unusual, and is a reasonable result.

lower than when I used the Datacolor software

The Datacolor software “cheats” a little, i.e. it creates profiles with a “perfect” zero blackpoint that’s not in line with what is typically measured. Also, it is not clear how it calculates the sRGB percentage – likely in 2D CIE 1931 xy coordinates, which is not very accurate.
    Argyll CMS on the other hand calculates the coverage percentage based on the intersection of 3D volumetric representation of the colorspaces in CIE Lab, which is better.

alfsorenson SourceForge

Hi Florian,

I used the “White LED” mode for my AOC IPS Led display. When I was talking about brightness, I was referring to the setting of the “white level” in the interactive adjustment screen. In order to get my white level to the center , I had to increase my screen brightness to the max. In retrospect, however, I reread the captions and it says to adjust contrast and nothing about screen gain/brightness. Perhaps this is why I was having issues.

I redid the calibration this morning, mainly adjusting back and forth between RGB levels and brightness making sure to keep target temp as close to 6500 as I could get it. The final result was 99% sRGB. I still had to adjust each color a little more than I would have liked, but perhaps I should redo the cal adjusting contrast only for “white level”, and keeping screen brightness/ gain at default. Would this make a difference?

Thanks,
    Alf

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I used the “White LED” mode for my AOC IPS Led display

Ok, that should be fine.

When I was talking about brightness, I was referring to the setting of the “white level” in the interactive adjustment screen. In order to get my white level to the center […]

What I meant was that unless you have set a white level target (by default, there will be none, and the difference shown will be simply the difference from initial brightness when starting the calibration to the current brightness while adjusting e.g. RGB gains. This allows you to restore the initial brighness level by upping or lowering the brightness control of the monitor after RGB gains have been adjusted, but it’s important to note that this is not a must! Brightness should be adjusted in such a way that it is in line with visual ambient light level, to reduce eye strain)

[…] perhaps I should redo the cal adjusting contrast only for “white level”, and keeping screen brightness/ gain at default

Probably not, because on LCD computer displays the “contrast” control is usually rigged in such a way that it adjusts the digital signal level by clipping near-white/near-black values (when increasing contrast), or lowering white/raising black (when decreasing contrast), which is not what one wants and therefore on digitally connected LCD computer monitors, the “contrast” control should not be touched and left at (factory) default. Brightness or backlight as well as RGB gains are OK to adjust though.

• This reply was modified on 2015-12-03 22:13:46 by fhoech.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS