Calibration too dark

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration too dark

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

GoldenSW
    Participant

Hi, I tried calibrating an older Samsung TV (F6400) using displaycal 3.5.3 and spyder5express. Everything is too dark and I strongly believe something went wrong. I installed afterwards the official software which did a better job, even though it needed like 15 mins, in comparison to displaycal which took like 3-4 hours.  I must mention this is my first time using calibration hardware but I can’t see anything obvious that I did wrong. I installed the argyll driver and correction data from the tools menu, selected 2.2 gamma, white LED mode, 6500k, medium calibration speed, around 600 patches, black & white compensation. Screen didn’t turn off or anything like that during the process… I didn’t even touch my computer during the calibration.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

“too dark” compared to what? Run a verification.

If the TV has auto-dimming (which is hinted at in reviews), then that will mess with calibration/profiling and needs to be disabled. Reducing the number of measured patches will also help.

GoldenSW
    Participant

Well, for example it’s too dark compared to my already well calibrated gaming monitor.  In movies, there is a lot of detail loss around shadows. I checked http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php and http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php though and they looked fine. I don’t think it has any dimming features (at least any I can disable), since it is around 4-5 years old and even back then it was quite entry-level. Things I thought about:

1. Should I even try using other modes than white led?
    2. Should I reset the TV settings to default? I applied some video settings I found online some time ago before calibrating.
    • This reply was modified 6 years ago by GoldenSW.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Well, for example it’s too dark compared to my already well calibrated gaming monitor.

As I said, run a verification. Comparisons can only be done when really comparing the same thing (same black- and white level, same program, same content. Of course, the applications that you’re using need to actually employ color management).

I don’t think it has any dimming features (at least any I can disable), since it is around 4-5 years old and even back then it was quite entry-level.

Dimming is not a high-end feature, it is very common even on TVs that are much older than that (reviews indicate this TV definitely has auto-dimming, see https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue40f6400-201305042929.htm).

1. Should I even try using other modes than white led?

No, this TV is definitely white LED.

Should I reset the TV settings to default? I applied some video settings I found online some time ago before calibrating.

Possibly. Just copying settings over is usually not a good idea.

GoldenSW
    Participant

What kind of verification are you referring to?

I checked the TV’s menu and they didn’t include any option to turn the dimming off. Samsung is famous for their dimming issues even on their newer models… That’s how you lose customers. Is there any workaround that you know of? The article you posted said “we displayed a pause icon on screen to defeat the auto-dimming – patterns”. I’m so newbie that I don’t get that lol…

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What kind of verification are you referring to?

The standard one with all default settings on the “Verification” tab.

Is there any workaround that you know of? The article you posted said “we displayed a pause icon on screen to defeat the auto-dimming – patterns”

They are probably referring to movie playback. During measurements, it may already help to make the patch area as small as possible and setting a 50% gray desktop background or something similar (alternatively, use madTPG where you can set the background level using a slider).

GoldenSW
    Participant

Thanks a lot for your help. Will do as you said and hope for the best. 🙂

GoldenSW
    Participant

So I ran another calibration and after that some verifications. Things I did: made the calibration patch as small as possible, put a 50% grey image in fullscreen and reset the TV settings but disabled any artificial enhancements from the menu such as dynamic contrast, sharpening etc. Everything that remained on the screen was the grey image and the measurement patch. Results appeared to be around the same, maybe a little better. I ran a verification which revealed everything to be mostly ok after the calibration except gamma which was between 2.3-2.4. I increased the gamma from the TV’ menu and now it  became almost a perfect 2.2 after a new verification. Everything else remained ‘ OK green’, maybe with slight differences. Why did displaycal choose to do this? I mean, it was pretty obvious even to a human eye.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Are you actually using calibration (tone curve on “Calibration” tab set to a value other than “As measured” and profile installed afterwards as well as calibration loaded via the profile loader)?

I increased the gamma from the TV’ menu and now it became almost a perfect 2.2 after a new verification.

Sounds like you’re not using the profile then, and verifying the TV in its current state without color management.

GoldenSW
    Participant

There is definetely a change of gamma made by the profile and I definetely selected 2.2 in the calibration tab. After the TV reset and no profile loaded (I uninstalled displaycal and removed any older profiles from windows’ color management) I gamma was in the range of 2-2.1. After the new calibration, I did the verification as you said and gamma was 2.3-2.4. And yes, I am using the profile loader. Something is clearly wrong with some settings. Could also the sensor be faulty?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What settings did you use on the verification tab? Was the profile that you installed selected under “Settings” at the top?

GoldenSW
    Participant

Yes, it was. I installed it right after the calibration. I used both the standard and extended verification chart.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Did you use any form of ambient adjustment on the calibration tab or made any other changes to the tone curve parameters?

GoldenSW
    Participant

If you refer to the white level setting, I left it at ‘as measured’ and I only selected standard 2.2.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Attach the profile please.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS