Calibration Problem LG 31mu97z-b + BM Mini Monitor

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration Problem LG 31mu97z-b + BM Mini Monitor

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Thomas Dunzendorfer
    Participant

Hey there,

I’m having some weird issues with re-calibrating my current setup. I’m working on an iMac Pro with an LG 31mu97z-b attached to it via a Blackmagic Mini Monitor. The setup did work well when I first calibrated it using DisplayCal 3.6.2.

I now updated to 3.7.1.1 and tried to re-do the calibration on my setup. Basically, the LG monitor is set to Gamma 2.2 with tweaked RGB values to provide a good starting point for Display Cal. There, I use the DaVinci Resolve D65 Preset (no HDR) with no tweaks in the settings. The result was clipping in the highlight with some strange loss of contrast. I therefore tried unchecked “apply vcgt” but that did end in the same result.

I’m kinda confused because the validation report shows 99,8%  of SRGB which shouldn’t be as the output in DaVinci looks really bad with loss of contrast and clipping highlights. The DaVinci Project Settings don’t affect the  output as I tried different ones as well as a new project from scratch.

Would appreciate any help! Thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

The result was clipping in the highlight with some strange loss of contrast.

first things first, make sure your output levels are configured correctly, which is very likely your issue. In 99.99% of cases, this means using “Auto” everywhere (yes, project settings in Resolve do matter). DisplayCAL can detect if you’re using full range instead of video levels, but not the other way around. Then, as hardware hasn’t changed, you can just use the same settings you used before (select your prior “known good” profile under “Settings” in DisplayCAL).

Thomas Dunzendorfer
    Participant

Hey Florian,

many thanks for the quick feedback. I just tried setting the Data Levels to Video and check differences. Unfortunately, nothing changes and the weird artefacts in the highlights still appear. (Hopefully visible to you in the picture attached.)

It’s pretty confusing at this point as I can’t find the mistake in the settings from both DaVinci as well as DisplayCal. I also attached the latest measurement report which definitely shows some bad values.

Big thanks,
    Thomas

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Please attach the profile and related files (“create compressed archive…”).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS