Calibration of ASUS PG279QM

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration of ASUS PG279QM

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Sandro
    Participant

Hi,

I bought myself an ASUS PG279QM und a Color Checker Display Plus Colorimeter. I tried and read a lot since then regarding calibration. I have a few questions and i hope somebody knows the answers:

1. Is the Color Checker Display Plus the right device for the job? I bought the Plus instead of the pro because the Plus is theoretically able to calibrate HDR OLED (I also own an OLED TV), but is the plus still suitable for standard Monitor calibration?
    2. I only use sRGB. The Monitor is wide gamut but has a sRGB Emulation mode which is activated by default in the OSD. I use that. But should i calibrate using the sRGB mode from the OSD?
    3. Which correction do i use for this type of monitor?
    4. Regarding Gamma: when i measure the uncalibrated gamma it is 2.3. Even when i calibrate with gamma target 2.20, i always end up with 2.22. What can i do to get 2.20.
      I know that only i few programms are color managed. I mainly play games. But i do like the right white point (6500k) and right gamma (2.2).
    5. I recognised that Gammacorrection is applied systemwide, when loading the profile via displaycal profile loader. Is that correct? I do like it, but why ist gamma correction applied systemwide and color not?
    6. White Point: Why does look white still different on the ASUS PG279QM compared to my EIZO FS2735 (which is by the way the best monitor i ever owned   ). Even when i calibrate with 6500k target. The white on the ASUS looks still a litte bit reddish and the EIZO a little bit greenish. Whats the magic behind that to get the whitepoint identical on both monitors. Or is that impossible?
    7. Gradients: in uncalibrated state using the sRGB emulation mode from the ASUS OSD i get perfect Gradients. After the Calibration und after applying the Profile the Gradients are not perfect anymore. Im using the Eizo Monitorcheck for checking Gradients: https://www.eizo.de/monitortest/
      I also tried the novideo sgrb software clamp while using the widegamut mode from the OSD and the gradients are also not perfect, even more imperfect to calibrated srgb mode using the profile. Is it normal that gradients are not perfect anymore after calibration?

Thank you very much

Best regards

Sandro

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

1.- All i1d3 are suitable for all monitors using ArgyllCMS ecosystem. Pro and Plus should be able to use vendor software for HW calibration.

2.- Calibrate in native gamut for photo-video use
    Compute a LUT3D for video uses
    Compute a LUT3D for sRGB emulation with DWMLUT or use novideo_sRGB if you have an nvidia. If you have an AMD sRGB emuklation is in AMD control panel.
    As an alternative you can calibrate sRGB mode too, but it may be easier yo use 1 OSD mode + several LUT3D. Whatever you like more.

3.- it looks like a QLED. Use this correction:

https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/hash/eaf581dcfb58a401c5535f002338753c/ASUSTek%20COMPUTER%20INC%20ROG%20PG279QM%20%28i1%20Pro%202%29.ccss

4.- DIsplayCAL/ArgyllCMS priorizes neutral grey & tine separation over nominal gamma because it is teh priority under color managed apps. I wont care about 2.22 for games.

5.- Because it is loaded in a dedicated GPU HW called GPU LUTs (1D). They only can store grey calibration.
    For full colorspace simulation use DWMLUT or in a simple way no_videoSRGB. Google that on LeDoge’s github repository, VERY COOL tools.
    DWMLUT is HW-like calibration for all monitor, banding free due to dither.

6.- Colorimeter correction needed, one for each monitor. Only use CCSS, do not se CCMX.
    If it still does not match it may be because wrong spectral correction, inaccuracy in i1d3 firmw vs actual colorimeter spectral sensivities  or an observer metameric failure (you are not equal to std obs). So if you do not get a match use visual whitepoint editor BUT if you do that you must use relative whitepoint LUT3D if you make one, do not use absolute colorimetric with a visually chosen white.

7.- Non AMD GPU, or an AMD GPU not using DisplayCAL loader.
    The only ways to get rid of banding non color managed apps are:
    -good HW calibration (mostly Eizo & NEC, not Dell, Benq… etc)
    -an AMD GPU using DIsplayCAL loader and DO NOT use other loader
    -DWMLUT -> this one is universal, all GPUs, all monitors

Sandro
    Participant

Thanks for the answers. I have a few follow up questions:

(I use nvidia gpu)

2.- Calibrate in native gamut for photo-video use
    Compute a LUT3D for video uses
    Compute a LUT3D for sRGB emulation with DWMLUT or use novideo_sRGB if you have an nvidia. If you have an AMD sRGB emuklation is in AMD control panel.
    As an alternative you can calibrate sRGB mode too, but it may be easier yo use 1 OSD mode + several LUT3D. Whatever you like more.

-> im a little bit confused. so if i use the sRGB emulation from the OSD. I should calibrate with this switched on? for the Calibration settings i set Tone curve: sRGB, Whitepoint: 6504 K and white level: as measured, right?  Calibration speed: high.? Under Instrument: i set Mode to “LCD (generic)”.

-> what settings do i need to set when creating the lut from a profile?:

Setting: the sRGB profile, i created with sRGB in osd = on ?

• which source colorspace? cant find sRGB there
    • tone curve: i assume: Gamme 2.2?
    • Rendering intent: ?
    • format: cube?
    • input encoding: fullrange RGB (0-255) ?
    • Output encoding: fullrange RGB (0-255) ?
    • 3D Lut resolution 65 x 65 x 65?

3.- it looks like a QLED. Use this correction:

-> I dont think its a QLED. According to displayspecfiactions.com its a wled with an auo panel: https://www.displayspecifications.com/de/model/8e31263b

-> So should i use Spectral LCD PFS Phosphor WLED Family or LCD White LED Family (AC, LG, Samsung) ?

https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/hash/eaf581dcfb58a401c5535f002338753c/ASUSTek%20COMPUTER%20INC%20ROG%20PG279QM%20%28i1%20Pro%202%29.ccss

4.- DIsplayCAL/ArgyllCMS priorizes neutral grey & tine separation over nominal gamma because it is teh priority under color managed apps. I wont care about 2.22 for games.

–> im a little bit worried that its 2.3 gamma uncalibrated. because i want to have near perfect gamma even in games. i read that dwmlut doesnt work with fullscreen exclusiv in games, is that right? i need to use fullscreen exclusiv to due input lag ;). Is there any other way to get a perfect gamme curve for the whole system? what i tried,  i did adjust the gamma in the nvidia control panel a little bit (1.05) that i get better measured gamma. Is this a legit way to do it, or just stupid ;)? measured gamma curve is close, not perfect, but better then uncalibrated. 

5.- Because it is loaded in a dedicated GPU HW called GPU LUTs (1D). They only can store grey calibration.

–> is there any way to calibrated only 1D Lut? 

For full colorspace simulation use DWMLUT or in a simple way no_videoSRGB. Google that on LeDoge’s github repository, VERY COOL tools.
    DWMLUT is HW-like calibration for all monitor, banding free due to dither.

7.- Non AMD GPU, or an AMD GPU not using DisplayCAL loader.
    The only ways to get rid of banding non color managed apps are:
    -good HW calibration (mostly Eizo & NEC, not Dell, Benq… etc)
    -an AMD GPU using DIsplayCAL loader and DO NOT use other loader
    -DWMLUT -> this one is universal, all GPUs, all monitors

–> the banding i get is within chrome, which i think is color manganded. Banding is introduced after calibration when using the created icc profile. so what am i doing wrong? without any calibration there is zero banding.

Thank u very much! Really appreciate it! need to get further with the whole calibration puzzle.

Sandro

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Sandro.

Vincent
    Participant

2.- If you use sRGB emulation mode, you can use whatever whitepoint and whatever TRC you want. Uusally these factory modes have lockes OSD controsl so it’svery likely that white point and TRC will be corrected on GPU from whatever factory settings you have. If you can change RGB gains or gamma settings in sRGB mode on monitor, easier.

You only need to create a LUT3D for madVR video players or DWMLUT if you use full native gamut. As with any other LUT3D open lut3d maker app and
    -source is what you want to simulate, whatever it is
    -destination is your DisplayCAL ICC profile
    -Format is whatever is needed for the application loading LUT3D (madvr has its own formt , DWMLUT has IRIDAS .cube)

3.- SPD points to a QLED. Even at 10nm there is little doubt about it, no signs of hump due to low resolution like with a PFS. A very clean QLED

PLOT IT! Argyllcms commandline (asuming bin Argyll in $PATH): specplot file.ccss

So unless some user trolled colorimeter database is a QLED like many other AdobeRGB+P3 widegamut monitors from Asus (usually from AUO vendor)

4.- is it is 2.3 uncallibrated … then calibrate to 2.2. I do not see what your problem is.
    If you want to game take a look to LeDoge’s novideo_sRGB… so no need to calibrate sRGB mode for gaming.

5.- is the only thing all this calibration software can do for your monitor: xrite, basiccolor, DisplayCAL…. => they calibrate grey, the only they can do using GPU HW. Then they measured grey calibrated monitor and make an ICC profile.
    If you wish colorspace simulation you’ll have to rely on other tools as explained above …those apps will be feeded with your custom ICC profile made by DisplayCAL.
    Read DWMLUT and novideo_sRGB documentation. LeDoge on github.

7.- color managed banding is due to low bithdepth computation and lack of dithering ON THAT APPLICATION (it’s fault),  IF non color managed is bandless. Non color managed banding is caused by I’ve explained previously (and teh ways to solve it).

.. so test non color managed banding first. For example MS paint Lagom LCD test PNG… must be tested on MS Paint, do not open it on PS or Edge or Chrome, MS paint, non color managed. Unles you get a “zero banding” with calibration loaded and non color managed (MS paint),  your chrome tests are pointless and useless.

Let’s assume taht with calibration loaded there is no banding on MS paint in that gradient. Now let’s go back to chrome (or PS, or Indesign or Illustrator)
    Since color managed banding is an issue of each application, there is no way to solve it by you, it’s their programmer’s fault, but you can minimize it with Matrix + 1 single curve + BPC profiles.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Vincent.

Sandro
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks again.

I tried novideo_srgb and DMW_LUT, great tools but:

novideo_srgb: i created an icc profile via DisplayCal with my Monitor set to Wide Gamut. Verification looks quite good it think. When i load that into no_video srgb it works as expected -> clamped to sRGB.
    BUT: Gamma setting from the icc profile are ignored as described in the no_video documentation. Therefore i selected Gamma: calibrate to sRGB. But problem with that is: this causes artefacts in Graphics in Games. maybe in the whole system. When i tried 2.2 instead of sRGB for gamma cal ibrationin novideos_rgb -> picture is too dark. dont unterstand what the black value offset setting means.. What can i do to get perfect gamma with no video srgb?

DMW_LUT:
    Problem with that is that its not running stable. it chrashes. maybe it has something to do with fullscreen exclusive.

Thanks very much

Vincent
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks again.

I tried novideo_srgb and DMW_LUT, great tools but:

novideo_srgb: i created an icc profile via DisplayCal with my Monitor set to Wide Gamut. Verification looks quite good it think. When i load that into no_video srgb it works as expected -> clamped to sRGB.
    BUT: Gamma setting from the icc profile are ignored as described in the no_video documentation. Therefore i selected Gamma: calibrate to sRGB. But problem with that is: this causes artefacts in Graphics in Games. maybe in the whole system. When i tried 2.2 instead of sRGB for gamma cal ibrationin novideos_rgb -> picture is too dark. dont unterstand what the black value offset setting means.. What can i do to get perfect gamma with no video srgb?

Issues to app programer. There is a thread here. Post your issues in that thread.

DMW_LUT:
    Problem with that is that its not running stable. it chrashes. maybe it has something to do with fullscreen exclusive.

IDNK since i’ve tested with simple games and Photoshop.

Sandro
    Participant

Is there any way to calibrate gamma seperatly? So that i could use novideo_srgb and have perfect gamma?

MW
    Participant

Is there any way to calibrate gamma seperatly? So that i could use novideo_srgb and have perfect gamma?

VCGT via displaycal + EDID overrider with novideo_srgb. But it’s less worth than letting novideo_srgb handle it all.

dogelition
    Participant

Therefore i selected Gamma: calibrate to sRGB. But problem with that is: this causes artefacts in Graphics in Games. maybe in the whole system.

Please take pictures of the artifacts you’re seeing and upload the ICC profile as well, so that I can take a look. Either make a new issue on GitHub (preferred) or post in the novideo_srgb thread on this forum.

dont unterstand what the black value offset setting means

That setting is needed because gamma curves start at 0, but most displays cannot show true 0 nits black. Depending on what you set the offset value to, the curve is modified in a different way to start from the display’s black point without crushing black shades. DisplayCAL also uses this setting, but it hides the value by default, so you need to enable advanced options to see it.

Sandro
    Participant

I posted a new issue for that  on Github.

https://github.com/ledoge/novideo_srgb/issues/28

Thank you very much! 🙂

Sandro
    Participant

VCGT via displaycal + EDID overrider with novideo_srgb. But it’s less worth than letting novideo_srgb handle it all.

Thank you! But im not sure what to do. How do i use only the VCGT? And how do manipulate the EDID ? With which values? Sorry, for still being a noob to that topic.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Sandro.

MW
    Participant

Thank you! But im not sure what to do. How do i use only the VCGT? And how do manipulate the EDID ? With which values? Sorry, for still being a noob to that topic.

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should, but it’s possible and I can point you to guides. What’s your need for separating them?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS