Calibration keeps on failing – Please help :-(

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration keeps on failing – Please help :-(

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

zoutv
    Participant

Hello all.  When running the display cal with my Spyder 5 express puck, it errors out in the middle of the patches.  Details:

-Have the Spyder5Express puck.
    -Windows 10×64 Anniversary edition 1607
    -My LCD brightness is set to 16% out of 100% and contrast was lowered to 80%
    -Installed the drivers that came with the puck. (D’oh).  Then after reading I should not of done this, I uninstalled it but kept the driver folders from the datacolor spyder software.
    -Have the latest ver of Display cal installed.
    -I then d/l the Argyill drivers for my spyder device, but still used the Spyder 5 driver.  Then it finally showed up in Display cal.
    -I selected Black point and white point compensation and High accuracy during calibration/install.
    -I have the puck in an active USB port.  Unfortunately as the puck is not making 100% contact on the LCD’s surface, I lean a cardboard box up against it to get full contact.
    -During calibration I get:  06:59:52,723 dispcal: Error – Mcv max – min -2.000000e+038 too small.  Please see the  full log below

I’d greatly appreciate any help as I can’t work on my month long trip photos until I get this calibration done 🙁

Thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

-My LCD brightness is set to 16% out of 100% and contrast was lowered to 80%

Note that adjusting contrast on an LCD monitor can lead to clipping because it alters the digital signal. Adjusting brightness is usually ok though as it tends to only alter the backlight.

-I selected Black point and white point compensation and High accuracy during calibration/install.

Black level drift compensation is not needed for colorimeters like the Spyder5. White level drift compensation is usually not needed on LCD displays because their backlight is consistent. Did you mean high calibration speed (the recommended default) or slow calibration speed (not recommended)? All these settings unnecessarily prolong measurement times when not needed.

Unfortunately as the puck is not making 100% contact on the LCD’s surface, I lean a cardboard box up against it to get full contact.

Can you tilt the display backwards? Applying too much pressure to an LCD is usually not a good idea because it affects the panel, so unless the cardboard is only used to apply very light pressure, I would recommend against it.

-During calibration I get: 06:59:52,723 dispcal: Error – Mcv max – min -2.000000e+038 too small. Please see the full log below

It seems you forgot to attach the log. The error looks like it is due to botched measurements though. Probably obvious, but did you remove the cap from the instrument?

zoutv
    Participant

Thanks Florian for the helpful tips!  For contrast, what should I change it to on the LCD’s panel?  100? 50?

Also, apparently if you do the know where or how to remove the Spyder cap, Ummm ‘stuff’ won’t work like it should.  Mmmmkay….

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks Florian for the helpful tips! For contrast, what should I change it to on the LCD’s panel? 100? 50?

Reset it to the factory default value and leave it there.

Also, apparently if you do the know where or how to remove the Spyder cap, Ummm ‘stuff’ won’t work like it should. Mmmmkay….

Sorry, I can’t make much sense of that sentence, it seems a little garbled. The cap is there to protect the sensor from dust, and it also acts as the counterweight. With it on, obviously the sensor won’t be able to measure anything but the dark inside of the cap.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Hi Florian,

I was reading this topic and I was wondering about this “high calibration speed (the recommended default) or slow calibration speed (not recommended)”, is the “high calibration speed” really the new recommended option for pc calibration and madvr 3dlut, I’m with colormunki display.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

is the “high calibration speed” really the new recommended option for pc calibration and madvr 3dlut, I’m with colormunki display.

It’s the recommended default for speed (time spent) vs. accuracy considerations, if you want to go all the way, no one is stopping you of course (I would tend to think that going higher than medium is probably overkill in most situations). The 3D LUT presets don’t do calibration by default though, so it doesn’t apply there unless you opt to change the setting.

S Simeonov
    Participant

is the “high calibration speed” really the new recommended option for pc calibration and madvr 3dlut, I’m with colormunki display.

It’s the recommended default for speed (time spent) vs. accuracy considerations, if you want to go all the way, no one is stopping you of course (I would tend to think that going higher than medium is probably overkill in most situations). The 3D LUT presets don’t do calibration by default though, so it doesn’t apply there unless you opt to change the setting.

Thank you for the info, I’ll try the “medium” setting.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS