Calibration is just not working for me.

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration is just not working for me.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

fork
    Participant

I’ve tried to calibrate several screens during the past year, without success.  I’m using a Spyder5 colorimeter.  I have one desktop with a small Nvidia card, another with an AMD 170  card and a relatively new laptop with an Nvidia card.

The calibration of the laptop screen came out with a very blue tint.  I had to go back to one of the stock settings.

I tried using both the desktop machines to calibrate a Panasonic VT plasma and couldn’t get the color right.  I suspect there was a problem with the set.  The colors seemed to drift.  I found the RGB might be balanced before profiling, then I’d go back a few days later and they were no longer balanced.

I bought a Sony 930D recently.  The stock picture is very nice, but I wanted to improve it if possible and I’d like to do some video color correction with it.  With a new set I thought I might finally get the calibration process to work for me.

I the Whitepoint  with the White LED setting (I also tried Wide Gamut LCD (ccfl), but it didn’t seem to make much difference).  I used Refresh (generic) to set the Blackpoint and brightness, since it wasn’t available with the other settings.  By the time I was ready for profiling I had both the whitepoint and blackpoint flashing green.

I did profiling with about 1,000 patches using the Windows machine and the small Nvidia card.   I ran the first attached Verification file afterward.  All measurements were in the green, but the colors looked rather bland and grey.  Examining the color patch from Digital Video Essentials with the color filters, the colors were close in some instances, but off in some areas.

The second Verification file was run on the same Sony display using the Mac with the AMD card, after exactly the same process and profiling.  The measurements show substantial errors and the picture looks worse than with the Windows machine.

At this point I have no idea why it’s not working for me.  I’ve studied the instructions, to make sure I didn’t have any incorrect settings in the software.  I believe the video cards are good, though I don’t know how to test them.  The display seems consistent and capable of excellent picture.  The only thing I can think of is that maybe there’s a defect with the Spyder5 unit I bought last year.

Any help you can offer is appreciated.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I used Refresh (generic) to set the Blackpoint and brightness

“Refresh” is for CRT and Plasma only (or for the rare case when the display has a strobing backlight). Don’t adjust the blackpoint on an LCD device, you’ll lose contrast.

Looking at the second report, measurements don’t seem stable. Disable any automatic dimming/brightness/contrast features of the TV. Do measurements in a darkened room if possible to prevent stray ambient light throwing off the Spyder.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS