Calibration and profiling for Netflix and MadVR

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration and profiling for Netflix and MadVR

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

K4rma
    Participant

Hi, ive done a fair bit of reading on the topic but im still left confused on how to achieve the following, and im hoping someone can assist?

I use a Windows 10 NUC (GPU: Intel HD 5000) as my media centre and i watch movies through MPC-HC using MadVR and also Netflix using their Windows 10 app. I have bought a X-Rite ColorMunki Display for calibration/profiling.

I have followed the guides for how to create a 3Dlut for use in MadVR and im pretty satisfied that’s working correctly.

But i would also like DisplayCal to perform a calibration of my greyscale for general windows use, particularly for Netflix. I have used HCFR to calibrate my Panasonic GT30 plasma as best i can but it does not have 10 point greyscale control, so i was hoping the Calibration section of DisplayCal would create a 1D videoLUT to adjust windows to Rec.1886 gamma.

So using the DisplayCal MadVR presets, in the Calibration tab i turned off “interactive display adjustment” as its already done in HCFR, set everything else to “As measured” apart from “Tone curve” which i set to Rec.1886, and “whitepoint” D6500.

In the Profiling tab i set “High” and ~1500 patches, and in 3D LUT tab, Rec.1886, “abosute colormetic with whitepoint scaling”.

So with the above settings, the 3Dlut is created and installed just fine, but i dont appear to have any profile installed for Windows (ie. Netflix) use. The Profile Loader does not have anything listed and when i test with VideoLUTs enabled/disabled in HCFR i see no difference.

This suggests to me that no 1D VideoLUT was installed when DisplayCal did its Calibration prior to Profiling? I did try and install one of the .icm’s in Windows Color Management and that appeared to do something but it also made photos in Chrome/Facebook have green skin tones??

Can someone please advise what i should do get a 1D videoLUT calibration installed for use in Windows?

Thanks!

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

This suggests to me that no 1D VideoLUT was installed when DisplayCal did its Calibration prior to Profiling?

You cannot install a profile for the “madVR” display device, but the way you can install the profile is to just select the actual display on the “Display & instrument” tab and click the “Install profile” button (next to the settings dropdown).

K4rma
    Participant

Thanks Florian! I did this, installed it then tested with HCFR. Can you please advise why the VideoLUT appears to have lower gamma?

I have attached 3 different pictures of the tested gamma using MadTPG:

• No LUTs applied (so just monitor calibration)
    • 3Dlut applied i created for MadVR as I described above
    • VideoLUT applied using the installed profile as you suggested above
      • Im wondering why the gamma is lower here vs the other two?

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Check your HCFR settings, especially target black point. The target has shifted as you can see in the graph.

K4rma
    Participant

Not sure i fully understand.

When i select disable and then enable videoLUT the average gamma shifts from 2.05 to 2.3 (“gamma target in use”), per the first and third graph above. Im not actually changing anything in the settings other than enabling videoLUT. The HCFR gamma calculation setting remains unchanged. It is set to ITU-R 1886 (with default settings: 0 = absolute; 100% input offset).

It seems like the profile i created in DisplayCal (as suggested above) has lower gamma for some reason. I can see the screen brighten when the profile is applied.

Any ideas why the profile would be doing that? Did i select something wrong in DisplayCal when i installed it?

Appreciate your help!

K4rma
    Participant

After some further testing, it seems this issue is due to 0-255 vs 16-235. Im using an HTPC video card drivers outputting 0-255 but with a TV that expects 16-235. I do this because i have MadVR outputting 16-235.

I notice that DisplayCal has a 16-235 option in display settings…do i need to select this? It was set to auto before.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I notice that DisplayCal has a 16-235 option in display settings…do i need to select this? It was set to auto before.

You should leave it at auto, but when using madTPG, this option doesn’t do anything anyway (thus it is grayed) – you set the output levels in madVR in that case.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS