Calibrating Dell U2720q

Home Forums General Discussion Calibrating Dell U2720q

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

David A
    Participant

Hello,

Just got a Dell U2720q, and looking at the colors they look more saturated than my Benq monitor. I’ve read that the U2720q is a wide gamut monitor and in standard mode might look oversaturated, so I need to set it to an sRGB mode in order to limit the colors it uses and then it will display correctly. I’ve also read somewhere that you want to use the standard mode since you get the most information from the monitor and then calibrate it to display properly. I’m not really sure what to believe or what settings I should be using.

I mostly use Resolve, but also many other apps for content creation. But I’d also like as much color accuracy as I can get while on the internet, since I do a lot of web stuff that involves me checking how videos and photos look on a website.

If I use the sRGB mode on my monitor will it give me better color accuracy on the internet? Or can I use the wide gamut and use a calibration to adjust the monitor saturation, maybe by selecting the wide gamut monitor setting in displaycal?

Does using the sRGB mode clip or reduce the monitors ability to perform in any way? Like shooting in 10 bit vs 8 bit. Should I have 2 settings and 2 calibrations? 1 in standard that I use for Resolve with the most color information, and another that I switch to when I’m on the internet? It seems like a hassle, but I want to get the best results I can with this monitor. Also, usually when I calibrate I need to use a custom mode to set the white point with displaycal, would the custom mode automatically use the wide gamut?

Thank you

MW
    Participant

If I use the sRGB mode on my monitor will it give me better color accuracy on the internet?

Yes. But a more refined approach is to use use the full gamut of the display together with color managed apps like Firefox and Resolve.

Does using the sRGB mode clip or reduce the monitors ability to perform in any way?

It could, assuming the display uses consumer grade processing chips. Pro grade displays like Eizo and Nec handle this scenario better with higher internal bit depth but consider that a feature more than a requirement for accurate color. Because you can skip sRGB mode and let color management do it in 16-bits.

Should I have 2 settings and 2 calibrations?

This is what color managed apps set out to solve. Chose one setting and profile. Unless you’re dead set on using particular software that’s not color managed you don’t gain anything.

Also, usually when I calibrate I need to use a custom mode to set the white point with displaycal, would the custom mode automatically use the wide gamut?

Normally, yes. You can check in the verification tab, “Use simulation profile as display profile” box checked.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by MW.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by MW.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS