Calibrating Aorus AD27QD

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating Aorus AD27QD

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

rehf
    Participant

Hello,

First and foremost I’d just like to say this last week or so is the first time I’ve ever looked into calibration for monitors, so forgive my ignorance on the subject and terminology.

I recently got a Aorus AD27QD monitor that I plan on using primarily for gaming and non-HDR media consumption. It’s a wide gamut (95% DCI-P3) IPS display with a ~1000:1 contrast ratio.

I also got a x-rite ColorMunki Display to calibrate with, which I know really isn’t necessary for non color critical work, but I was still interested anyways in getting a colorimeter to get the most accurate/intended color.

My main question is, should I be calibrating to the 2.2 Gamma Curve or the sRGB Gamma Curve? All the content I’m consuming (games, TV, movies, videos) are not made with wide gamut color in mind, so I’m looking for the optimal settings for the sRGB color space. I don’t want too much oversaturation of sRGB color because of the wide gamut, so that’s why I was thinking the sRGB gamma curve is what I should be going for, but otherwise it seems 2.2 Gamma is the way to go?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

My main question is, should I be calibrating to the 2.2 Gamma Curve or the sRGB Gamma Curve?

For color managed applications (e.g. Photoshop), it doesn’t matter, as the calibration tone curve only affects non-color-managed applications on the desktop.

I don’t want too much oversaturation of sRGB color because of the wide gamut

The calibration tone curve doesn’t have much effect on saturation in non color managed applications (the majority). In color managed apps, it has no effect.

it seems 2.2 Gamma is the way to go?

Correct.

rehf
    Participant

Thanks for the response!

In your first point, you mentioned for gamma curve it doesn’t matter as it only affects non-color managed applications on the desktop. Since I’m not using very many color managed applications, would 2.2 curve still be the way to go? Just as an example, if I’m looking at my desktop or Chrome or Spotify, whatever, on it’s own with a .icm profile activated, is 2.2 Gamma still the way that content *should* look? Or would an sRGB gamma curve be more accurate for these applications?

The only reason I ask is because I calibrated profiles with both a 2.2 gamma curve and sRGB gamma curve and in desktop/chrome/general usage I notice a difference and I’m not sure which is supposed to be the more ‘accurate’ or ‘intended’ look.

In Chrome, looking at the Lagom black test, when my 2.2 gamma curve profile is active I can barely make out the first 5 squares. 1-2 are practically blended in with the background. With the sRGB profile activated, square 1 is barely noticeable but I can make it out, and all the others are visible. Comparing both there is detail loss/black clipping/black crush with the 2.2 Gamma Curve profile in MPC-HC + MadVR without a 3DLUT. With the SRGB, it looks fine and all detail is there.

I might just not be used to a 2.2 gamma curve/proper calibration, but losing detail in blacks does concern/bother me. I guess I’m just wondering if that’s how it’s supposed to look, where that black detail is not really supposed to be noticeable (2.2 Gamma Curve) or if it’s supposed to be fully visible (sRGB).

Anyways, I look forward to clarification from someone a lot more knowledgeable on this subject than me.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by rehf.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by rehf.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Since I’m not using very many color managed applications, would 2.2 curve still be the way to go?

Yes. If you are viewing a lot of sRGB material, you could also use sRGB.

In Chrome

If using Chrome, disable its color management (not working/broken, if you care about color, use Firefox). I don’t remember how to do it, you’ll have to search for it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS