Calibrating a EIZO CS2740

Home Forums General Discussion Calibrating a EIZO CS2740

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Marko
    Participant

I recently purchased an EIZO CS2740 which replaces my 15 year old EIZO S2100 monitor for amateur photography and office use. So far I have used a ColorHug (1st generation). The new monitor is a significant step up from my old one so I’m wondering if I should also get a better Colorimeter. It seems like the X-Rite i1Display Studio is being phased out and is currently available for a very reasonable price – would that

1. be a good fit for my monitor performance wise (I neither want to over nor under-spend) and
    2. be significantly better than the ColorHug I already have?

I’m dual booting Windows and Linux but I am working on Linux 99% of the time so Linux compatibility would be a big plus.

Any advice is appreciated.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Marko.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Marko.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

You need i1DisplayPro, not the studio. You cannot choose cheaper models like i1display studio / color munki display even if HW is equivalent because it is not supported for HW cal software. You paid what you paid for a CS because HW cal and superb color uniformity.

Regarding Linux, check if Color Navigator is available for your OS. If not you just need a Windows/macos laptop or dualboot your system evevy few months to recalibrate. Then copy the resulting ICC profiles to your Linux partitions and associate it to your display in OS color settings.
    Some Mate or simpler desktop enviroments may lack of these settings. If this happens you’ll need to asociate display profile to display on each app if they support it.
    If they do not support color management, then you’ll be forced to calibrate your CS2740 only to sRGB (or Rec709 g2.2/2.4 variants) since all will be non color managed. Or even return CS2740 to store and get a reliable “just-sRGB” display from your favourite manufacturer because you may have paid too much for no real gain. In Eizo sRGB line is “EVXXXX”. In NEC it is “EAXXXX” but some of them have a native colorspace significative bigger than sRGB so you may face the same problem (which is caused by apps lack of functionality, not because your monitors)

Marko
    Participant

Thanks for clarifying. I was focusing on the hardware side and didn’t realize that the Studio version isn’t supported by HW cal software. The X-Rite i1 Display Pro is indeed supported by both EIZO’s Color Navigator as well as by DisplayCAL allowing me to do HW calibration of my CS2740 as well as software calibration of other displays with DisplayCAL 🙂

Color Navigator 7 is available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7. Once I find out where I can download the Linux version I’ll see if I can get it working on my Ubuntu machine. But booting Windows every once in a while would be fine as well. My KDE/Plasma environment as well as all relevant applications (RawTherapee, Darktable, Gimp, Scribus,…) support ICC profiles – without that a wide gamut monitor indeed would be a waste. As far as I can tell Linux is doing surprisingly good in this field. I was surprised to find out that even 10 bit output (which apparently sometimes can be a bit of a hassle on Windows) worked out of the box – this is how it should be 🙂

I’m not familiar with the technical details of HW calibration but I’m curious if there’s a chance we might be able to do HW calibration with ArgyllCMS/DisplayCAL at some future point in time.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Marko.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS