Calibrate in Wide Gamut or sRGB

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrate in Wide Gamut or sRGB

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

desilent
    Participant

I haven’t found anyone ask this specific question, so here it is:

1. I am new to calibrating and read through most the documentation, still theres some open questions I have.
    2. I bought 2 new monitors, 1: Asus PG279QM and 2. Asus XG27AQ
    3. The PG279QM has an sRGB clamp mode which I am using.
    4. the XG27AQ does not have a clamp mode, so it runs in Wide Gamut

Now the Questions

1. Is it beneficial to me to run the PG279QM in Wide Gamut aswell and THEN calibrate again or just use sRGB clamp? Use cases is just browsing(chrome)/gaming and some Photoshop/Premiere. I like faithful color presentation, the “more accurate”, the better. I don’t necissairly need it but I like it.
    2. I calibrated both monitors with the i1Display Pro and used the CCSS files that I found in the database for corrections. The 2nd monitor (wide gamut)  visually has a much brighter white. Although both are calibrated to 160cd/m² and 6500k with the Gamma 2.2 curve. Is there a way for me to make the white look more even or is this just something I have to live with? On the PG279QM the white almost looks yellow tintish.
    3. I calibrated last night (in complete darkness) and set up the RGB values on the monitor to read 6500k (ish) and have a deltaE of 0.0 on one monitor and 0.2 on the other. Today I figured I’d try it again for fun. Turned on the monitors waited 30minutes and I had to set up completely different RGB values to get to the 6500k and balanced colors. How can this be? Does a tiny bit of daylight (closed the sheets) change those values that drastically?

Thank you all for the help in advance.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

MW
    Participant

Is it beneficial to me to run the PG279QM in Wide Gamut aswell and THEN calibrate again or just use sRGB clamp? Use cases is just browsing(chrome)/gaming and some Photoshop/Premiere. I like faithful color presentation, the “more accurate”, the better. I don’t necissairly need it but I like it.

Yes, it will make the spectral correction more accurate, though sometimes user provided corrections are uploaded with internal sRGB clamping enabled which is a misstake. Anyway this will improve white point matching if the conditions match. If sRGB clamping is desired you can use novideo_srgb or dwmlut.

Is your work in Photoshop and Premiere destined for print or screens? Because 160cdm2 is used for the former while sRGB clamping is used for the latter.

I calibrated last night (in complete darkness) and set up the RGB values on the monitor to read 6500k (ish) and have a deltaE of 0.0 on one monitor and 0.2 on the other. Today I figured I’d try it again for fun. Turned on the monitors waited 30minutes and I had to set up completely different RGB values to get to the 6500k and balanced colors. How can this be? Does a tiny bit of daylight (closed the sheets) change those values that drastically?

If the difference is visible it’s faulty. You need to provide logs of “report on uncalibrated display” to determine that.

Vincent
    Participant

I haven’t found anyone ask this specific question, so here it is:

1. I am new to calibrating and read through most the documentation, still theres some open questions I have.
    2. I bought 2 new monitors, 1: Asus PG279QM and 2. Asus XG27AQ
    3. The PG279QM has an sRGB clamp mode which I am using.
    4. the XG27AQ does not have a clamp mode, so it runs in Wide Gamut

Now the Questions

1. Is it beneficial to me to run the PG279QM in Wide Gamut aswell and THEN calibrate again or just use sRGB clamp? Use cases is just browsing(chrome)/gaming and some Photoshop/Premiere. I like faithful color presentation, the “more accurate”, the better. I don’t necissairly need it but I like it.

Widegamut + clamp to sRGB for non color managed apps using software: GPU driver (AMD), novideo_SRGB, DMWLUT.
    Only 1 calibration/device

1. I calibrated both monitors with the i1Display Pro and used the CCSS files that I found in the database for corrections. The 2nd monitor (wide gamut)  visually has a much brighter white. Although both are calibrated to 160cd/m² and 6500k with the Gamma 2.2 curve. Is there a way for me to make the white look more even or is this just something I have to live with? On the PG279QM the white almost looks yellow tintish.

bad brightness uniformity (they only match in center) + wrong CCSS. Check CCSS (no emulated colorspaces or low resolution).

1. I calibrated last night (in complete darkness) and set up the RGB values on the monitor to read 6500k (ish) and have a deltaE of 0.0 on one monitor and 0.2 on the other. Today I figured I’d try it again for fun. Turned on the monitors waited 30minutes and I had to set up completely different RGB values to get to the 6500k and balanced colors. How can this be? Does a tiny bit of daylight (closed the sheets) change those values that drastically?

Bad monitor with variable response as function of temperature & power up time… or broken colorimeter. Sealment issue seems unlikely, but check it by covering with clothes.
    Or user error choosing the other monitor 1 CCSS on monitor 2.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.

desilent
    Participant

Thanks for the help guys.

The only correction I found for the PG279QM was a spectral correction of the 10nm, it sets the mode to “Refresh” by default. Can that be correct?

There are 3 other corrections but those are Matrix corrections. Not sure which one to use.

Vincent
    Participant

Plot it with DisplayCAL or ArgyllCMS tool, IDNK backlight type so IDNK if custom 10nm will be worse or better than 1nm generic ones.

Briunale
    Participant

we have not tested it with a CR250R nor have we compared the part numbers between the CRF250R and CRF450R. we also have not done any measurement comparisons. youd have to do this work to determine if it will work.

Briunale
    Participant

Re-installed in a directory that has write/modify permissions Program Files doesnt have this permission by default in windows 10, only installers can write there. Then i enabled V-sync and frame rate limit as an extra precaution. Seems to have “fixed” the problem, as i havent seen any blue screens during FTL play since doing so.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS