Calibrate Imac Pro for photo editing

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrate Imac Pro for photo editing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

TheSwede
    Participant

Hi!

I am new to this and have been reading on different topics on the forum but can´t seem to find anything that answers my questions, so I hope I can get some help 🙂

I have a Imac Pro which I have calibrated with the x-rite 1display pro and DisplayCal with the following settings: WP: 6500k, Gamma 2.2, 120cd/m.

Once I installed the profile the screen colors become much warmer and when comparing the photos I edited through photoshop and capture one pro to 3 different phones, 1 ipad, 1 MBP 2018 and 1 MBP Touch 2018 they all appear colder. The default imac pro profile resembles these colors much better then the profile I created.

Now I know that screens that are not calibrated will not show colors correctly but on 5 different devices the colors are colder.

I would appreciate any help and advice I can get?
    – is the warmer cast correct?
    – correct settings?
    – Why is the photos colder on all other devices tested on.
    – How good is the default color profile for photo editing?
    – In the editing software I use the Srgb color setting (my work is uploaded online), is this correct?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

what’s the year of this iMac Pro? Which correction did you use (if any)?

– How good is the default color profile for photo editing?

You can check this on the “Verification” tab by running a measurement report (assign the default profile in System Settings -> Display -> Color, then in DisplayCAL under settings select “<Current>”).

– In the editing software I use the Srgb color setting (my work is uploaded online), is this correct?

If the images you are editing are in the sRGB color space (e.g. have an embedded sRGB profile), then yes.

TheSwede
    Participant

Hi!

There is only one iteration of the Imac Pro what I know of? I have the 2017 model otherwise.

I attached the test results of the profile I created with DisplayCal, how do they look? I am not sure how to read the results

I have been struggling with calibrating the colors, reading the test results what do you think? any improvements I can do with the settings for creating a new profile?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

TheSwede
    Participant

here are the results for the default profile.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

I am not sure how to read the results

Default (driver/EDID I presume) profile validations shows that uncalibrated white is “white” (close to daylight curve in its yellower/bluer whites) but very cold (“blue”). Also coldness from default profile information and from your measurements does not match.

When you use your calibrated profile (DisplayCAL) white should look warmer (more yellow “than” your uncalibrated reference) because uncalibrated white is too blue.
    Because Macs lack of OSD RGB gain settings white is corrected in graphics card LUT limiting one or two channels.

“Phones & ipads” out of the box could or could not be calibrated. Their grey may be neutral and even its RGB primaries may be close to sRGB or P3 (so they look somehow “fine”)… but white? You cannot say that this is true unless you measure them. It’s very likely that their white is colder than D65 but “white”.
    Each one of those phones may need their a spectral correction (backlights spectral sample) for your colorimeter.
    You cannot use them as a reference… but if you whish to you can make a profile trying to match their whites and switch between your calibrated D65 profile and “phone A white profile” in your iMac.

Summary: your D65 profile for your iMac seems fine and its hould be “more yellow” than uncalibrated one because it was too cold (too blue).
    The only uncertainty is the spectral correction you choosed, if it is suitable or not to your screen.
    AFAIK not so old and newer Apple iMacs and macbooks have 2 flavors of screen:
    – LED with close or just a bit more than sRGB coverage : WLED backlight
    – LED with close to P3 coverage: WLED PFS phosphor backlight.

You should know what kind of display you have… if you have doubts just look to your screen gamut in your profile. Close to P3 -> it’s the second flavor.

You can use several CCSS from DisplayCAL colorimeter database but unfortunately users that created them did not label them with an accurate description of which kind of display it is stored.

You can also use bundled corrections for i1d3 (Xrite ones) with DIsplayCAL. 1st flavor is “WLED” in Xrite naming, 2nd flavor is “Panasonic VVX17P051J00” (it’s not exacly like a P3 imac but close).

If you wish to know what flavor matches each of iMac corrections from DisplayCAL colorimeter database you can plot it using ArgyllCMS “specplot” in macOS console (go first to ArgyllCMS bin folder):
    specplot PATH_TO_CCSS
    and a window pop up will show with a spectral power distribution plot.
    -WLED sRGB looks like a Nessy moster with a blue huge spike on left and two small humps for green and red.
    -WLED P3 looks like narrow 3 spikes but red spike (on the right) may appear “multi spiked”. A good CCSS shoudl show at least 2 spikes in red.

IDNK what CCSS did you use. But you can plot it in the same way I explained and see it that one matches a P3 imac or a sRGB imac.

PS: Florian, maybe it would be easier to users to put a button near DisplayCAL CCSS combo selection. If user choosed a CCSS and not a CCMX, when you press that button you call to specplot and ArgyllCMS popup shows up.
    I & other susers can work in command line… but it may be overwhelming to some users.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

PS: Florian, maybe it would be easier to users to put a button near DisplayCAL CCSS combo selection. If user choosed a CCSS and not a CCMX, when you press that button you call to specplot and ArgyllCMS popup shows up.
    I & other susers can work in command line… but it may be overwhelming to some users.

+1 to Vincent’s suggestion. This would be a very welcome feature.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS