Calibrate camera HDR monitor such as atoms ninja V using Displaycal

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrate camera HDR monitor such as atoms ninja V using Displaycal

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

sacahaskdfkj
    Participant

Hi

I recently bought a external 5inch monitor to output video from my camera through HDMI.

It is similar to atomos ninjia V with display properties listed as:

1920×1080 8bit 1000:1 LCD

Luminance

450/1000/1500nit

The native gamut is Rec 709 which i have checked with manufacture

I haven’t calibrate the HDR display before and the only knowledge is from the similar atomos website which shows how to calibrate using the Xrite official software and a atomos software that controls the display automatically like nromal calibration done on the desktop with hardware 3D lut implemented.

https://www.atomos.com/calibration

The problems is that I brought a monitor is not supported by Xrite officially or at least not confirmed by the manufacture.

My thinks is :

1. treat the display as an desktop HDR monitor and connect through the HDMI
    2. calibrate the display using Xrite I1 and displaycal
    3. generate the 3D lut so I can load it on the monitor as it support 3D lut in cube formate.

I have few questions:

1. Is that feasible for displaycal to generate 3D luts .cube with accuracy supported by display is 6/17/32/33/64/65
    2. how to calibrate the HDR monitor properly for video work like D65, Rec709
    3. I found a software that support to convert icc to 3D lut https://www.brizsoft.com/lut-converter/ is that easier for me to just generate the icc profile and convert using the Briz LUT Converter
    4. I also find a wiki for resolve 3D luts, should I use that workflow to get the best results to match the footage i saw before and after post and how to set for HDR display?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Is that feasible for displaycal to generate 3D luts .cube with accuracy supported by display is 6/17/32/33/64/65

Go for the largest supported cube size (65).

how to calibrate the HDR monitor properly for video work like D65, Rec709

Whether or not that’s possible depends on whether or not the monitor produces stable light output (no auto-dimming/powersaving), which is a requirement for accurate measurements (if the thing you’re measuring changes while being measured, that’s no good).

I found a software that support to convert icc to 3D lut https://www.brizsoft.com/lut-converter/ is that easier for me to just generate the icc profile and convert using the Briz LUT Converter

“Converter” is likely a misnomer. A color transform always includes two profiles (colorspaces): Input (target) colorspace and destination (e.g. display) colorspace. In an ICC workflow, these transforms are usually created on-the-fly by the color management module of the respective application (i.e. image or video editor). A 3D LUT is a “baked” transform.

I also find a wiki for resolve 3D luts, should I use that workflow to get the best results to match the footage i saw before and after post and how to set for HDR display?

Are you going to use Resolve and use the external monitor exclusively through something like a DeckLink card? Then the Resolve workflow is for you. Otherwise, you should use the normal extended desktop support of your operating system.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS