Blacks / Shadows Lifted in MacBook Pro (Mid-2015) Calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Blacks / Shadows Lifted in MacBook Pro (Mid-2015) Calibration

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Daniele Sestito
    Participant

Hey everybody!

I’m trying to calibrate my MacBook Pro (2015, Retina Display, 15in) with DisplayCal using my X-Rite i1Display Pro Plus. I’ve done the calibration three times since the first two results had off hues. The third one is the best and had solid numbers on the verification test (attached).

However, the blacks are too milky and the shadows feel lifted in this latest calibration. In other words, they don’t appear as dark as I feel they should be. It’s pretty noticeable when viewing clips from some movies that I’ve seen many times before and know generally how they should look like.

Here are my latest settings:

• Mode: LCD
    • Correction: Spectral LCD White LED Family
    • Interactive Display Adjustment: On
    • Whitepoint: As measured
    • White level: As measured
    • Tone Curve: sRGB
    • Profile Quality: High
    • Amount of Patches: 3454

I turned off the advanced options on this latest calibration since I didn’t feel like I was making use of those settings, besides the Whitepoint (normally D65) and White level (normally 120 for me).

Let me know what you think, or if you need any more info from me. Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

However, the blacks are too milky and the shadows feel lifted in this latest calibration. In other words, they don’t appear as dark as I feel they should be. It’s pretty noticeable when viewing clips from some movies that I’ve seen many times before and know generally how they should look like.

• Mode: LCD
    • Correction: Spectral LCD White LED Family     <—————- Wrong if it is a P3 macbook (use P3 for macs), OK if sRGB laptop
    • Interactive Display Adjustment: On
    • Whitepoint: As measured
    • White level: As measured
    • Tone Curve: sRGB                                                               <—————- HERE is the culprit
    • Profile Quality: High                                                          <—————- & next: macOS color management engine is extremely faulty
    • Amount of Patches: 3454                                                so stay in “default setting” or UI artifacts may appear in UI elements

I turned off the advanced options on this latest calibration since I didn’t feel like I was making use of those settings, besides the Whitepoint (normally D65) and White level (normally 120 for me).

Let me know what you think, or if you need any more info from me. Thanks!

Expained in quote

Marcin Czornyj Kaluza
    Participant

– turn off auto brightness in MacOC prefs

-use gamma 2,2 instead of sRGB

-change profile type to single curve matrix

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS