Blackmagic Mini Converter 6G 3D LUT

Home Forums Help and Support Blackmagic Mini Converter 6G 3D LUT

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just got this box and connected to Eizo CG2420 that is set to video levels and NATIVE gamut. Resolve is also set to video levels. What do I set Input/Output Encoding levels? Full Range or TV Levels 16-235? I notice the eeColor preset sets to Video levels. I am calibrating to Rec709. During verification, there are colors way outside of the Rec709 color space. The colors should be limited to within the Rec709 color space.

In Eizo ColorNavigator, I can tell it to clip to Rec709, but I shouldnt have to do that. DisplayCAL should be profiling and then creating a 3D LUT which has all colors within the Rec709.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What do I set Input/Output Encoding levels? Full Range or TV Levels 16-235?

It depends on the LUT box. If the box deals with levels on its own, you probably should create a full range LUT. If it doesn’t, the LUT levels should match the input levels (e.g. video).

Anonymous
    Inactive

So why when i calibrate with DisplayCAL, and then verify, it shows colors outside of the Rec709 gamut?

The colors do not stay within Rec709, unless I use ColorNavigator and turn on “gamut clipping”.  But I should be able to use ColorNavigator and profile to Native Gamut with “gamut clipping” turned Off. Then with DisplayCAL, profile to Rec709.  I am using the default “Absolute colorimetric with white point scaling”. Should this restrict all colors to be within Rec709 gamut?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So why when i calibrate with DisplayCAL, and then verify, it shows colors outside of the Rec709 gamut?

The 3D LUT needs to be active during verification, and the verification target needs to match the 3D LUT settings.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok so i ran a quick calibration and verification to see if i got the settings correct. This gave good verification results. See screenshots of my settings. I am still confused when to enable “simulation profile”. Do these steps look correct?

1. Profiled with ColorNavigator to set the initial monitor settings to 103cd(since CN7 not very accurate),
      gamma 2.4, Rec709, Native Gamut, Gamut Clipping: Off.
    2. Profiled with DisplayCAL using PFS Phosphor, white level 100cd, black and tone cure “as measured”.
    3. Created 33-point 3D LUT, Rec709, Gamma 2.4, Input/Output levels: 16-235.
    4. Loaded LUT into mini converter, with “clip video output to legal levels” turned on.
    5. Ran verification, with simulation profile checked, Use simulation as display profile checked, gamma 2.4. Device link unchecked.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here is measurement results

Googloiss
    Participant

Hi, without me opening a new thread, I want to understand if I’m doing things right.

I’ve done a calibration/profiling and made a 3D LUT of my wide gamut monitor (LG 31MU97) through Resolve -> Decklink Mini Monitor 4K -> Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6G, with the purpose of loading this 3D LUT into the Mini Converter (so I can do proper color gradings with Premiere other than with DaVinci).

I have obtained 99.2% of sRGB coverage, then I’ve quickly made 3 kind of verification, I attached all of them.

First one (19-28):

Simple 3D LUT verification with device link checked. Are these values fine? Personally I believe it’s already a poor result, but I don’t know I to improve. Suggestions?

Second one (19-32):

Device link unchecked (as Florian explained in this thread), 3D LUT loaded into Resolve’s video monitor LUT. As you can see, results get worse.

Third one (19-39):

Device link unchecked, 3D LUT loaded into the mini converter, and that is the most important verification, because that is the way I will actually use that 3D LUT. Again, as you can see, results get even worse than the second verification.

What’s happening? Is all this normal or not? How can I improve those final results? Thank you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Googloiss
    Participant

Anyone?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS