BLACK is way too Black after Calibrate by Colormunki DisplayCAL3.35 on Mac OS

Home Forums Help and Support BLACK is way too Black after Calibrate by Colormunki DisplayCAL3.35 on Mac OS

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Penn
    Participant

I am using Mac OS and created profile with ColorMunki Photo + DisplayCAL3.35

Please take a look at the screenshots

When viewing images by “Apple Preview” APP
    The BLACK POINT on “Apple Preview” is DIFFERENT from
    the BLACK POINT on “Finder Preview” (Correct Blackpoint)

The BLACK POINT on “Apple Preview” is much darker,
    Any Less than 4% on image is already Completly BLACK
    but on “Finder Preview” it can still identify the differences between 1.6% & 4%

BUT created profile with ColorMunki Photo + Official APP

When viewing images by “Apple Preview” APP
    The BLACK POINT on “Apple Preview” is SAME AS
    the BLACK POINT on “Finder Preview”

which is normal

Because the new version of Lightroom Classic CC, use the black point as same as the images on “Apple Preview” APP
    which is way too dark, so I can not use the profile created by DisplayCAL anymore.

I have tried to check and uncheck the “Black level drift compensation” on the DisplayCAL, but it does not work.

Also, I had tried to set custom gamma and black output offset setting on DisplayCAL, it does not make any difference

This is not only happening just on one mac, My Mac Pro with an external monitor and my iMac, Macbook Pro, with different OS version also have the same problem.

Did I set anything wrong? or it is a bug on Mac? Thanks a lot.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Penn.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

This is a macOS bug in Preview and some other macOS applications. There are already a few threads discussing the issue, although there is unlikely to be a solution until Apple fixes the underlying bug(s).

Penn
    Participant

Thanks Florian, but if it is a bug, why it does not happen when using  ColorMunki Official App to create profile? it may be some setting in the profile file itself right?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Penn.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

why it does not happen when using ColorMunki Official App to create profile?

From what I’ve seen, literally coincidence. I’ve it seen with i1 Profiler, basICColor, and others (which is no surprise since it’s potentially a bug somewhere in the Apple CMM, not in the generated profiles).

Penn
    Participant

But if it is a bug, the earliest Version I am using that has this problem is Mac os EI Capitan till now already 3 year, still have not fix this problem, is there any place we can report this problem to Apple? Thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

There is a link to send a bug report to Apple in one of the other threads I mentioned.

Penn
    Participant

Is there any technical term that can demonstrate this in short? or keyword I can use? thanks. is that possible can you provide the threads’ link? thanks a lot

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is there any technical term that can demonstrate this in short? or keyword I can use? thanks.

The important thing is that it is a rendering bug related to Apple’s color management implementation (doesn’t happen with e.g. Photoshop, only happens on mac). Just give them as much and as detailed info as possible.

is that possible can you provide the threads’ link? thanks a lot

Dark Images in Mac "Photos" & "Preview" with DisplayCAL generated Profile

Penn
    Participant

I have just seen this, https://discussions.apple.com/message/29674571#29674571

quote:
    ===========
    Feb 1, 2016 1:27 AM in response to Craptacular1
    SOLVED

In my case…
    I use EIZO display with its calibration software “ColorNavigator” and calibrated profile.
    When a profile made with an option, “reflect black level in tone curve” is checked, shadows get too dark.
    Uncheck the option and re-calibrate (= renew profile) fixed the issue.

==========

about
    “reflect black level in tone curve”
    is DispCal has this option?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I have just seen this, https://discussions.apple.com/message/29674571#29674571

[…]

about
    “reflect black level in tone curve”
    is DispCal has this option?

We don’t even know if the person really had the same problem, neither do we know what “reflect black level in tone curve” does in the EIZO software. Discussion should continue in the other thread I linked above, I’ll close this one shortly to avoid redundancy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS